My 3 year old cat I found had passed in his bed

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woke up and Fuyu passed away in his bed. He was just turning 3. I’m waiting for the vets to get back to me.
I can’t do anything I’m really struggling with the grief. I picked him up and he was so limp with his tongue out and eyes open. I had been asleep for 6 hours. As he wasn’t stiff does anyone know a rough time of death?
I regret not trying to check if there was a little heart beat or keeping him here for a while so I could really process and also it would allow his brother to take it in. But instead I panicked and rushed him straight to the vet. Struggling to come to terms with it now as I didn’t sit with him and his brother to really process he was dead. It’s my biggest regret. This photo was him the day before he passed. Still waiting to hear from the vet. They said these breeds often die of heart problems young so if you have one do regular check ups even if nothing is wrong. I didn’t know this.
F9FDAC64-51DB-4EC9-9902-BC91B9B1BA56.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. A seemingly very healthy cat of mine passed away at home from what was an untreated (vet's fault) heart condition. This happens so quickly that even if you had awakened before Fuyu passed that there would not have been enough time to react.

From your description, I would say that Fuyu might have passed on a couple hours earlier. Your natural instinct was to take him to the vet; it is the way that our brains are wired in emergency situation, even ones which might not be helped.

The cat I mentioned was very closely bonded to another cat. When she saw that her friend was gone (and she seemed to immediately know that he was not sleeping), she ran and hid. I don't know if cats process passing in the same way that humans do, although I believe that they grieve.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I welcome you to TCS with open arms,wish I could give you a hug,I'm so very sorry for your loss .

You must be in shock and so terribly hurt but please try to understand there was not anything you could have done to change things,even we humans have a time to be born and a time to die-you have my deepest sympathy and my prayers that you have Peace and Comfort

I do hope it helps knowing we understand your grief and are here for you.RIP little Fuyu,you will be missed and loved eternally

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart cries for you, I know it is of little comfort right now, but the fact that he died at home, surrounded by the love of those who loved him, you and his brother, was a great comfort to him. It sounds like it happened very suddenly and painlessly to have died in bed, that will be a comfort to you in the future.
The bond between your two hearts will be with you forever. It can never be taken from you, not even by death. It is spiritual, so eternal. His new journey will forever parallel your own into the future. He lives on through you now and your sweet memories of happier times. He will continue to send his love and try to comfort you in whatever way he can. The 'essence' that was him will always surround you, a love that strong does not just disappear.
Please try not to dwell on his end, it brings nothing but pain and changes nothing. Go forward into the future and live it as you would want him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants it no different, that is love.
Take care of that sweet brother and make sure to get him tested for any problems that may be inherited. You may be able to help him with any problems now that you know what to look for. A cat that young is not expected to have such dire problems, you had absolutely no way of knowing this would happen.
My heart breaks for what you are going through. It takes time and a lot of it to process something like this and to work yourself through it. you will never get over it but you will learn ways to manage it. His death has brought an upheaval to your life and a shock to your soul. Please know we are here to hear you out and to give comfort in any way we can. we do empathize, most of us have stood in your shoes and survived. Please accept my condolences and give a kiss to that brother for me, he is grieving too. Please know I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Just get through the next day, the next week, the next month one day at a time. And remember you gave that sweet boy everything he wanted, care, a home, and especially your love. He gave you something that is truly a gift, a cat's heart.......RIP precious Fuyu. You will never be forgotten, you will always hold a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Fuyu, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. What a terrible shock to you. And you did what almost every one of us would have done, you went to the vet, hoping against hope something might have been done for your cat. That it was not to be is not your fault. If there had been some faint life left, staying at home would almost certainly have been fatal. There is NOTHING to feel guilty about, ever, on your part. And Fuyu died where he felt most safe, in his own home, surrounded by those he loved...and loves still. I hope, when the time comes, my own death is just such a one as Fuyu had. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you for every moment of your love for him, and he sends his Love back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so so sorry for your loss. ❣ You did what you thought was right at the time for him by rushing to the vet. You couldn't have known what you know now then, so please be gentle with yourself.
Thank you that means a lot ❤

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Fuyu, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. What a terrible shock to you. And you did what almost every one of us would have done, you went to the vet, hoping against hope something might have been done for your cat. That it was not to be is not your fault. If there had been some faint life left, staying at home would almost certainly have been fatal. There is NOTHING to feel guilty about, ever, on your part. And Fuyu died where he felt most safe, in his own home, surrounded by those he loved...and loves still. I hope, when the time comes, my own death is just such a one as Fuyu had. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you for every moment of your love for him, and he sends his Love back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.
Thank you this was incredibly beautiful to read and had warmed my heart. I also wish when the time comes it’s snuggled in bed. Unfortunately they couldn’t find the cause but I’m glad he was asleep and we played and had cuddles that night ❤

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. A seemingly very healthy cat of mine passed away at home from what was an untreated (vet's fault) heart condition. This happens so quickly that even if you had awakened before Fuyu passed that there would not have been enough time to react.

From your description, I would say that Fuyu might have passed on a couple hours earlier. Your natural instinct was to take him to the vet; it is the way that our brains are wired in emergency situation, even ones which might not be helped.

The cat I mentioned was very closely bonded to another cat. When she saw that her friend was gone (and she seemed to immediately know that he was not sleeping), she ran and hid. I don't know if cats process passing in the same way that humans do, although I believe that they grieve.
I’m really sorry about your cat passing and I really appreciate you sharing that with me. They could find the cause but signs indicate he had a un diagnosed heart problems. And yes his brother hid behind the sofa too. He was crying in his sleep for a while but has stopped and is doing ok now xx

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. I would have done exactly what you did by rushing him to a vet. You wanted to do all you can at that moment. :redheartpump: :hugs:
Fuyu was beautiful.
My deepest condolences to you.
Thank you ❤

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I welcome you to TCS with open arms,wish I could give you a hug,I'm so very sorry for your loss .

You must be in shock and so terribly hurt but please try to understand there was not anything you could have done to change things,even we humans have a time to be born and a time to die-you have my deepest sympathy and my prayers that you have Peace and Comfort

I do hope it helps knowing we understand your grief and are here for you.RIP little Fuyu,you will be missed and loved eternally
Thank you that means a lot! All the lovely messages is really beautiful. This is a very cool community ❤

Jacqrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heart cries for you, I know it is of little comfort right now, but the fact that he died at home, surrounded by the love of those who loved him, you and his brother, was a great comfort to him. It sounds like it happened very suddenly and painlessly to have died in bed, that will be a comfort to you in the future.
The bond between your two hearts will be with you forever. It can never be taken from you, not even by death. It is spiritual, so eternal. His new journey will forever parallel your own into the future. He lives on through you now and your sweet memories of happier times. He will continue to send his love and try to comfort you in whatever way he can. The 'essence' that was him will always surround you, a love that strong does not just disappear.
Please try not to dwell on his end, it brings nothing but pain and changes nothing. Go forward into the future and live it as you would want him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants it no different, that is love.
Take care of that sweet brother and make sure to get him tested for any problems that may be inherited. You may be able to help him with any problems now that you know what to look for. A cat that young is not expected to have such dire problems, you had absolutely no way of knowing this would happen.
My heart breaks for what you are going through. It takes time and a lot of it to process something like this and to work yourself through it. you will never get over it but you will learn ways to manage it. His death has brought an upheaval to your life and a shock to your soul. Please know we are here to hear you out and to give comfort in any way we can. we do empathize, most of us have stood in your shoes and survived. Please accept my condolences and give a kiss to that brother for me, he is grieving too. Please know I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Just get through the next day, the next week, the next month one day at a time. And remember you gave that sweet boy everything he wanted, care, a home, and especially your love. He gave you something that is truly a gift, a cat's heart.......RIP precious Fuyu. You will never be forgotten, you will always hold a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
I have read this message so many times for a beacon of strength. Sending you my prayers and love. Honestly I was so surprised and I’ve read it to my friend and he cried too! 🙏❤ thank you

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I write from the heart and my own experiences. I was so shattered for so long......Every word I write I totally believe, hold on to your memories and know his love will always be a part of you......

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the chills from this. Words cannot express my deepest love and sympathy ❤‍🩹 losing an animal is like losing part of yourself. Hang in there, my thoughts and prayers are with you ❤😭