My 3 cats not accepting a newcomer

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

About two months ago someone's pet found his way to my home. He probably ran away because he wanted to find a female or was kicked out due to constant howling. I also feel he was abused because he crouches even when I touch him to pet him.

Now I got him neutered. His howling is gone however my cats are not accepting him. I already have two males and one female. Its been two months and they have hurt each other occasionally.

Now please can someone give me a step by step guidance on how to stop them from fighting.

Leaving him is not an option. I just don't have the heart to do that. And chances of finding a nice home for him are very slim since very few people in India are cat friendly.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking this boy in. He's so lucky to have you!

Two months isn't all that long in cat introduction terms, so please don't panic just yet :hugs:

The best thing to do is have this boy kept totally separate from the others and do a gradual, phased introduction. These articles set out just how to do that:-
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Interactive playtime can also be key. It's a good way to help cats work through stress, get excess energy out and reaffirm their territory.
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

If the cats still seem stressed, try something like Feliway (available as a calming spray and a plug in diffuser) if its available where you are. Failing that, a food based calmer can help smooth the transition period. My go-to calmer is Zylkene - its based on an enzyme found in milk. Always check with your vet before feeding any kind of supplements though ;)

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide