My 2 Somalis

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness.. now I want to take a road trip to Michigan, LOL! They are so lovely... how do you manage to now bury your face in their fur all the time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As requested more pics of the Somalis

I could not resist this one. Kingston's tail reminds me of a squirrel

and one of Veeshan

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness - awesome tail Kingston! You just groomed him didn't you.....
Now for a ruff!
Absolutely wonderful ticking along the back
Has his head filled out as much as the tail?

I have a sneaky feeling that Kingston will grand before Veeshan!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a Kingston and Veeshan fan.

Their tails are simply breathtaking.
The color of their eyes goes perfectly with their amazing coat.

Please keep the pictures coming.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Oh my goodness - awesome tail Kingston! You just groomed him didn't you.....
Now for a ruff!
Absolutely wonderful ticking along the back
Has his head filled out as much as the tail?

I have a sneaky feeling that Kingston will grand before Veeshan!
Actually no it has been 2 weeks tomorrow since he was groomed. No his head has not filled out. I have a feeling it is not going to but his breeder just saw him and thought he was stunning and said his head will get better yet.

When we decided to get Kingston our original plan was to use Veeshan for points. Ken and Irene McGill (the Canada Somali founders) have seen them and felt Veeshan was better quality. But then again his breeder and a breeder from California say he is RW quality. So I am getting very mixed reviews on him. He did take 3 of 6 rings over Veeshan as an open.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

Actually no it has been 2 weeks tomorrow since he was groomed. No his head has not filled out. I have a feeling it is not going to but his breeder just saw him and thought he was stunning and said his head will get better yet.

When we decided to get Kingston our original plan was to use Veeshan for points. Ken and Irene McGill (the Canada Somali founders) have seen them and felt Veeshan was better quality. But then again his breeder and a breeder from California say he is RW quality. So I am getting very mixed reviews on him. He did take 3 of 6 rings over Veeshan as an open.
IMO and seriously, this is just IMO...

I particularly like Veeshan's head shape and type BUT just like Abys, coat and color carry a combined 50 points, whereas the head only carry 25...

And that is why I prefer Kingston over Veeshan - IMO he has better overall ticking, better overall coat color (at least it looks like it, especially in your 1st post) and that may be the deciding factor between the two.

Furthermore, he's male and almost all breed standards are based on males - he looks better developed (body carries 25 points) over Veeshan even though he's younger.

But, what do I know about Somalis...I'm an Aby breeder after all!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

IMO and seriously, this is just IMO...

I particularly like Veeshan's head shape and type BUT just like Abys, coat and color carry a combined 50 points, whereas the head only carry 25...

And that is why I prefer Kingston over Veeshan - IMO he has better overall ticking, better overall coat color (at least it looks like it, especially in your 1st post) and that may be the deciding factor between the two.

Furthermore, he's male and almost all breed standards are based on males - he looks better developed (body carries 25 points) over Veeshan even though he's younger.

But, what do I know about Somalis...I'm an Aby breeder after all!
Well you know the only difference between Somalis and Abys is suppose to be the coat length. Your opinion means a lot to me. It must be the pictures because Veeshan does have good ticking and color but so does Kingston. Veeshan's head shape is to round and that is what kills her in the ring. Kingston's muzzle is to narrow but overall his head is better than Veeshan. It is true about the standard and this is the reason why we got a male to show. Males do better in rings than females especially in the Somali breed. Females are very hard to grand.

Now what is it that you like about his body? I think Veeshan's body is way better, but this could be an age thing. Veeshan has the Somali arched back, that I love, Kingston does not. Kingston is very long and thinner. I am just hoping this is his age and he will fill out.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Veeshan's head shape is to round and that is what kills her in the ring. Kingston's muzzle is to narrow but overall his head is better than Veeshan.
Taken from the CFA website...

MUZZLE: shall follow gentle contours in conformity with the skull, as viewed from the front profile. Chin shall be full, neither undershot nor overshot, having a rounded appearance. The muzzle shall not be sharply pointed and there shall be no evidence of snippiness, foxiness, or whisker pinch.

I personally think Veeshan's fits the highlighted description better than Kingston, though she may be too rounded. I said this before to you but I do think that his head is too pointed - but I have seen that the trend for both Abys and Somalis going towards the more extreme versions, which frankly, I don't particularly like myself. However, Kingston does, IMO, have the better ear set and eyes

Now what is it that you like about his body? I think Veeshan's body is way better, but this could be an age thing. Veeshan has the Somali arched back, that I love, Kingston does not. Kingston is very long and thinner. I am just hoping this is his age and he will fill out.
He will fill out trust me on that!
Didn't know he didn't have the arch tho

Honestly, going by pics alone isn't enough but if I had to make a choice now between the two at this time, Kingston would have it just because of the coat alone....