My 17 year old Cat just threw up her breakfast, I really need advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We can't get our money back. We paid cash.

I don't know what to do, I cannot afford another vet...we are going to have our utlities shut off soon because of all the vet bills lately and my DH blames me completely and there's so much tension.

I don't know what is wrong with my baby, but I need to find out and I don't know how.

He said if we wait a couple of months we can take her to a different vet...what if a couple of months is too long?

What does the problem sound like to you guys????

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
By the way, thanks for the three of you that read all that...it was a long rant and I was bawling the entire way through.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet is an
-hole, and I'm seeing red just reading this!
He knows how much you care about your baby, and all he saw was dollar signs!!
I'd report him to any organization (BBB??) that will investigate! His practice should be shut down. There is something definately wrong w/ your baby, and he's an idiot if he tells you she's just "constipated". What an
!!

There is supposed to be an organization for people who are having financial difficulties, that will pay for ailing pets: I think it's called IMOM.org (maybe someone else here knows for sure and will read this thread and will hopefully know the name of it.
.). I'll try to see if I can locate it, and if I can I'll let you know. I understand how you're feeling: we're struggling too having to pay for Winchester & Geronimo's FIP meds & all. By luckily, my vet isn't in it just for the money - he CARES, and will work w/ us.

I think I'd be sueing that jerk of a vet for malpratice, if it were me. What an arse!

I'm soooo sorry you are having to go thru this, and I hope your baby will be okay.

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked to verify the name of the organization I just mentioned (thankfully, I bookmarked it!), and it IS imom.org. Maybe they can help you.
i sure hope so.

Keep us updated!

~KK~

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, first off, I'd call another vet, and discuss with him/her the issues, tell them what you went through with this vet, and see if they agree that it's "no problem." Then if they don't agree, then I'd ask what to do because you obviously don't have the cash to take him in, and you're stranded with the cat because this 1st vet has taken your available money and given you absolutely no results.

Call and find out how much a regular vet visit is, and what kind of tests they'll probably do. I'd get an estimate of what the costs might be... they'll probably have an idea of what it will run.

Try to find a vet that people you know around there have taken their animals to and know that they're a good vet and not an idiot. If you call a vet randomly, then you might wind up with another "your cat is fine" vet.

PM me with what part of Massachusetts you're in and I'll post to my behavioral list. They're all phd's and a lot of them have vet degrees. There's a good possibility that they'll have an idea of a good vet in the area.

I have absolutely no idea what it is. I think it's probably serious. I honestly don't think that the cat can wait until next month if there is something wrong. I mean, I don't want to upset you more, but I know you're going to be ultimately the most upset if something happens to your cat and you could have done something about it. I'm thinking of any way I can to help you out.

I'm still searching for answers for you. Contact Imom in the meantime. I'll be back with more information on how to help as soon as I can, and don't forget to PM me with your location so I can post about it in my yahoogroup for someone close by to you.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, my sister has some knowledge of the law. This is her suggestion:

Call the vet you just took Mutty to and ask to talk to the person who owns it, or manages the office. Say that you're about to contact the American Vetrinary Association and that you're also considering filing a complaint in district court. But before you go that route, you'd like to ask them again to consider either running the full blood panel without charging you anything more because the price you've already paid has been astronomical, or making payments plans with you that is no money now based on your past history with them, etc and the fact that they've been diagnosing Mutty as nothing wrong while she continues to get worse. If that doesn't work and they won't work with you then you need to follow through with the threat of contacting the AVA and file a complaint with the magistrate. This won't be in time to help her right now, but if you do get it back in the future it can go toward the cat's continuing care. (this is only to get the blood work from this particular vet. If they give you the bloodwork, then you'd have to drop it there). Also give them the option of having her see a different vet, if there is one at the practice, FREE OF CHARGE. Be nice, but DO NOT back down. Be absolutely matter of fact.

If there is a vetrinary school in the area, contact them, and talk to them about the problem. If your vet is AAHA accreditted, the vet can submit an assistance request to the Helping Pets Fund (AAHA).

There's a website, www.pets911.com that will provide a list of animal shelters and animal control in the area in case you've missed any.

If you have a credit card, then try calling them and asking for a higher limit or a cash advance. They *may* do it if you have one.

In Massachusetts there's the MSPCA pet care assistance fund. If you live on Cape Cod or one of the islands, there's the Sampson Fund. There is the Tufts Cummings School of vetrinary medicine Travis Fund. You could also contact www.artforanimals.org and they may be able to help you. (a non-profit animal advocacy group, set up to provide all animals access to medical care, food and shelter).

MSPCA: http://www.mspca.org/site/PageServer...ssistance_Fund

Sampson fund: http://www.sampsonfund.org/

Taft Cummings: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/gift/p&p.html

Still working on more.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, and try SPAN.. www.spanonline.org

They help you get vouchers for spaying and neutering but they have the Harley Fund, and that's for financial assistance for vet care.

There's another organization called United Animal Nations, www.uan.org that might be able to help.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Catsarebetter you are a lifesaver.

I just spent an hour e-mailing away, and tomorrow after work I will call.

I hope this works out!!!!!!!