My 16 year old cat is swallowing frequently

meower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is swallowing about once every thirty seconds. He has early signs of kidney disease but is the only thing that I know is wrong with him. I fed him and he ate but he is continuing to swallow.
Has anyone every had a cat that did this?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have some plain white bread and milk, take the bread and break it up into really small chunks (remove the crust) You only need a few pieces, but they must be small. Soak them in a small amount of milk, you want the bread to soak up all the milk, so you don't need a lot of it. Once you have the milk-filled pieces, gently scruff you kitty while he is on the ground, and open his mouth and put one piece of bread in it. Close his mouth and hold it gently shut while he eats the bread, then give him one more piece. If he still is swallowing constantly, do the procedure one more time with only two small pieces. If that does not work, then please call your vet in the morning, he could have an obstruction in his throat. The bread/milk will push down certain foreign objects but not all-

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be he has a sore throat, maybe starting a cold or similar. Lucy, my elderly cat had a really nasty virus and although she's well over the worst of it and probably about 98% recovered, she still tends to swallow a lot due to excess mucus going down the back of her throat - same as we get when we get a cold.

The only sure way to find out what's causing the problem is to take him to the vet for a check-up.

Just a thought, he may have toothache as this would cause him to produce more saliva than normal which would make him swallow more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. After I posted, I gave him soem hairball medication and the problem went away.