My 14 Year Old Female Tabby Will Not Stop Urinating And Spraying

Kj_dub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 year old cat who will not stop urinating/spraying everywhere. She's always had occasional episodes, but it was always a bladder infections so she'd stop as soon as we took her to the vet. Now in her old age, it's constant and everywhere. We've taken her to the vet several times and there is nothing medically wrong with her. She's lived with my parents for the last 9 years for various reasons but now they've had it with her and have given me 3 choices: 1. she comes to live with me, 2. they give her to a shelter, or 3. they give her to a friend as their new barn cat. Obviously I never even considered #2 and I can't bear the thought of #3 because she's old and has lived inside with us her whole life so that's not fair - so option #1 it is. I love her, so I don't mind taking her, but my living circumstances are less than ideal for her- it's a 1 bedroom apartment and I have a dog (she HATES dogs that chase her/eat her food/bother her at all but can (and has) lived nicely with dogs that leave her alone - my dog knows better than to mess with grumpy cats so he stays away from her). Has anyone had a similar situation? How do I prevent her from peeing all over my new apartment? I will do ANYTHING to make her happy and eliminate the problem, all I want is for her to be the happiest kitty (who only pees in the litter box) while she's living out her few remaining years. Please help me! I'm desperate, any advice at all is appreciated! Thank you!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since she’s older and the vet ruled out any urinary problems, it could be that she’s just having a harder time walking to and stepping in the litterbox. You might have to give her several litterboxes, with low sides, to make them more accessible for her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Did anything change at your parents place before the most recent peeing/spraying started. It may not be a medical thing, but could be related to stress.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

Maybe try putting out additional litter boxes. And be sure to clean the urine with an enzyme cleaner, as that is the only way to totally get rid of the urine odor.

Here's some TCS articles that may be helpful.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she eating canned food or dry? Maybe up her canned food, decrease the dry.