My 14 year old boy needs dental work (cleaning, and treat his gum desease) ....but

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My girl, Ms Kitty, had a dental procedure last year, the vet used ketamine and I was up all night crying. The cat acted as if she were blind and deaf and she didn't seem to know us. She was about 12 years old. I thought for sure that she was brain damaged. She did finally snap out of it but I won't ever let her have that again.

She had a procedure a few weeks ago where she had to be put under and she was alert and happy to see me within hours.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure your vet uses a safe gas anesthetic, NOT ketamine. My senior girl Ootay:angel: had dental work when she was 17 years old. She also had kidney disease, heart murmur, hyperthyroid, high blood pressure, megacolon, arthritis and one previous stroke.

My vet uses only Sevoflurane gas anesthesia, very fast acting and safe. A bit more expensive but totally worth it.

Good luck to your kitty!
Ketamine is used as the induction agent not to maintain the anesthesia. That is what the gas is for. Make sure you get pre-op bloodwork done. My crf cat had a dental - they put him on iv fluids for a day before the surgery to get him fully hydrated. The bloodwork will determine the safest anesthetic protocol.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sevoflurane does not require an induction anesthetic. It is that fast acting. It is possible, in this modern world, to have NO KETAMINE when your pet needs anesthesia.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

This Momma Pooch she will be 21 next month. I got her at 17 not a tooth in her mouth. She was also not fixed, so at 17 after blood work to determine her kidneys were good for the anesthia off she went to get fixed, they also removed an oversized teet which they said was breast cancer. Which was not treated. Every yearly wellness check her blood work comes back stellar. A good vet is very important. Me and Momma Pooch have a love affair going, she is so so sweet. And really doesn't mind she has to share me with 6 other cats. With one being a new kitten. It's like everybody knows Momma's off limits in the play arena and wrestle arena. She is only 5.5 lbs.