Mute kitty?

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any such thing? One of my kittens (6 months old) makes all the motions of meowing, you know, he'll look up at me and open his mouth but I swear nothing comes out! I've only heard him meow once. Otherwise, he squeaks occasionally but no full fledged meowing. It's the weirdest thing - open mouth, and, well, silence.

By the way - his brother DOESN'T SHUT UP! Elwood is a real talker. Maybe Elwood is the spokesman for the two and Jake is content with letting someone else do the talking?

Very odd. Anyone else experience this?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, it's normal for some cats to not meow, or open thier mouths like they are going to. I have one who does this, and on a good day she will squeek.

zackhasley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat doesnt meow much either
unless she wants down when she's held
is waiting to go outside (yeah she literally sits by the door lol)

jason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats does the exact same thing. She'll open her mouth and sometimes you'll hear a cracked meow, sometimes a regular meow, sometimes a complete failure of a meow. It's just how her voice is. Sometimes it can be quite funny.

cheryl j&c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Mute Kitty....I too once had a Mute Kitty. However, I got this cat when she was about 10 mos. old. But, she never meowed. She would open her mouth and a little squeek would come out, and that's it.
BUT, the only time we would hear her actually meow was if you accidentally stepped on her tail or if she was left for a few days while we were on vacation and my neighbor would go upstairs to feed, and give her water and some attention, and clean her litter box.
But, that just wasn't enough for her. She needed constant companionship.
Again, these were the only two times she would meow. Everything else was a squeek. Hope this helps.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Polly is also known as "Squeak". I have heard a real meow out of him once in two years. His sister Max, however, has the biggest mouth of any kitty I have known! And she is musical, too, her meows have a trill to them sometimes. Pan has only meowed once, as well, when she was trapped in the bedroom and had to use the litterbox NOW!!! She does growl, though, when in the heat of stalking one of her toys, someone tries to take it from her. All the other cats seem to meow normally.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Esper is nearing the 7 month old mark.

She mostly squeaked and only ever meowed loudly in a car trip. Though over the last two days she can actually meow. And she's even trilling.....

Perhaps your kitten just needs time to develop vocal chords.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought but maybe he's the strong, silent type, content in letting his brother do all the talking?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that he just lets his brother do the talking. I have two cats, no relation to each other, but Trent talks a lot and Ophelia not so much. Well, she talks to hubby but not to me. LOL Even then, she usually only meows when she really wants something. She didn't really start meowing until she was about 2 to 2 1/2 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well thanks! I'm comforted in knowing that this is not an uncommon thing. Now if I could just get the other one to pipe down......

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

rotfl

The other one won't pipe down....lol
He'll talk to you for always now. ^_^
And besides, he has to tell you what the silent one wants. :tounge2: :tounge2: :tounge2:

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hecate is a mute. She opens her mouth to mew, but it sounds like a hiss instead. Even the few times she's been involved in minor accidents, never an actual sound. Closest I've heard is a small squeak when she was gagging on a feather, (she's only 5 months old and not very bright yet).