Must Leave town, what to do

dixie penny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work from home but must go out of town on business trip for 10 days ( no way around this trip)

I have two female cats,  a 3 year old and 4 month old cat ( the 4 month old was just adopted in september)

They get along well... except.. when the  4 month old wants to  play. ( which is alot )

the 3 year old isn't much for play. but when the 4 month old demands it  The 3 year old will play  with her for a short while. then she wants to stop.

but the 4 month old kitten will continue to pounce and harass  her.
to the point  my 3 year old cat begins growling and hissing. trying to get away from her

Of course thats  when I intervene to stop the play,

I am concerned about them being alone together while I am gone for 10 days on a working trip.

The sitter will check on them daily, keeping litter box cleaned,  water fresh and food in good supply.

However, No one will be here to stick up for my 3 year old cat and stop the play and  harassment when it goes too far.

Should I send the Kitten to my sister's while I am gone?  This leaves the 3 year old alone and the Kitten in 
unfamiliar  place.

any advice is greatly appreciated

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What happens if you don't break it up?   The biggest (and really only) worry is that the 3 year old will injure the kitten by either playing too aggressively or actively fighting.  Do they get along well otherwise?  Do they compete at the food dish & litterbox, and do they groom each other when they're not playing?  Also I assume that you're gone for work during the day.  I'm sure your cats have tangled while you're gone.  Has anyone ever actually gotten hurt?

I suspect things will be ok, but another option is to persuade friends to come by and perhaps even house sit.  Splitting up the cats is likely to be hard on both of them.  I'd avoid that option if at all possible.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I work from home but must go out of town on business trip for 10 days ( no way around this trip)

I have two female cats,  a 3 year old and 4 month old cat ( the 4 month old was just adopted in september)

They get along well... except.. when the  4 month old wants to  play. ( which is alot )

the 3 year old isn't much for play. but when the 4 month old demands it  The 3 year old will play  with her for a short while. then she wants to stop.

but the 4 month old kitten will continue to pounce and harass  her.
to the point  my 3 year old cat begins growling and hissing. trying to get away from her

Of course thats  when I intervene to stop the play,

I am concerned about them being alone together while I am gone for 10 days on a working trip.

The sitter will check on them daily, keeping litter box cleaned,  water fresh and food in good supply.

However, No one will be here to stick up for my 3 year old cat and stop the play and  harassment when it goes too far.

Should I send the Kitten to my sister's while I am gone?  This leaves the 3 year old alone and the Kitten in 
unfamiliar  place.

any advice is greatly appreciated
How much time do you have before you are leaving for this trip?   Have you tried supervising them but watching what would happen between the two when the three year old starts hissing or running away?   It is important to know if the kitten will back off or try to chase the year old when she runs away. You can try seeing what happens under close supervision. It is possible that the kitten will learn to back off depending on how much time you have.  If this is not the case then yes you may need to separate them while you are gone.  If you do have to separate them.  Have your sister spend time with the kitten in her surroundings so she is used to her. Also see if you can have the cat-sitter spend time around the three year old so she is used to her before your trip.

I have another thought and while this is not the greatest idea it may be helpful.  This could set back the introductions but might be worth it if it can be done safely.  Does your sister live in a space where she could set the kitten up in her own room and give the 3 year old the rest of the house?  If this is is possible it would prevent the 3 year old from being left home alone and only being checked on once a day.  You would have have to check with your sister to see if this is a possibility.  It might be the best option in this situation because both the kitten and the 3 year old would get more attention.  The kitten could deal with being in it's own space with visits from your sister throughout the day.   The kitten could be kept separated from the 3 year old so the 3 year old is not getting harassed.  Also if they are mostly getting along then maybe the supervised brief introduction periods could be continued.  It really would depend on if this is possible and how both the cat and kitten adjust to the temporary new place.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie penny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice.  

I took a step back to watch what the 3 year old would do when I did not intervene

This morning I noticed Apparently She has been teaching the kitten to stop when I am not around ( ie..sleeping or gone to the store or gym)

She never bites nor trys to hurt the Kitten. But when the 3 year old is tired of playing with the kitten . At first she walks away and  ignores her.  but if the Kitten begins jumping on her back or grabbing her tail.    she growls and will turn around and fake lunge at her ... the kitten backs off

They eat from the same food bowl and sleep together

so maybe I am just overly concerned.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like your cats are doing just fine.  No worries!  

With a kitten, I would definitely try to get a sitter to come at least twice a day.  It will certainly take some of the pressure off the 3 year old to have a sitter give the kitten two intense play sessions a day.  Also, plan to leave out lots of cat-safe solo toys, preferably some she hasn't seen in at least a month.  Things like the Cat Dancer fastened to the wall, toy mice, balls, and springs, etc.  Just no strings or feathers that the kitten can bite off and swallow.

If 2x/day sitter is too expensive for you, you can try to persuade friends and neighbors to visit.

Or get another kitten (wicked grin).