Must kittens have their vaccination before moving to a new home ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pariscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Flint McCullough - THANKS!!  What an amazing kitty you have - WOW, some cat !!!  I adore his enormous paws !View media item 139687

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, even kittens who had a terrible start in life can grow up to be very healthy. As long as you're willing to spend what you need to at the vet. And if the lady was giving them away free I don't think anybody would have said anything. It's just, well, if I were going to pay money for kittens I wouldn't want to have to do ALL the vetting myself. But if you're willing, no problem, and you might get lucky and they might be very healthy despite the lack of vet care.

I'm amazed this lady manages to sell so many unvetted kittens for so much, but well, whatever people are willing to pay for I guess :dk:. I suppose she wouldn't keep doing it if people refused to pay, so she must find buyers fairly easily. I just wish I could find adopters for my rescue kittens so easily! I would have some not-so-nice things to say to this lady if I met her, but I suppose I can't fault the people who buy from her.

I'm OK with holding off on vaccinating until you've had them for a couple weeks, unless the viral diseases are a huge problem where you live. But personally I would de-worm them right away. Worms can stunt their growth. Maybe your vet will let you take some de-wormer to have on hand when you bring them home. Let us know what the organization's vet says!

Last edited:

pariscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As you can see from my above reply, they are getting de-wormed tomorrow.  And then again in January  (recommended by my own vet, as a precaution, since they may catch the worm-germ-thingy once more where live now. 

Here they will be on their own the 2 of them - no other cats and no outdoor life for at least 4 months.  Futte our neigbour cat will not be allowed in to visit, as long as my kittens are not fully covered by their vaccination program and have recovered from both rounds of the shots.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All-kittens-have-worms,even-kittens-born-to-championship-show-parents,thats-just-how-it-is,lol,
That's actually not correct. Worm free mums (with a worm free sire) don't give birth to wormy kittens, many breeders have tested their kittens and found them worm free from worm free parents.

And worming at 6 weeks is incredibly young to be putting unnecessary poisons into their systems. Also no need for the vet to do worming, perhaps this is common in the US but not in other countries where worming is done at home and all brand names are OTC, along with de-fleaing.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is 6 weeks young for de-worming? My vet said that plain pyrantel is safe to use as early as 3 weeks, although I usually don't give it until 4-6 weeks, depending on how they're growing and how wormy their tummies look. But of course the kittens I get are usually out of bad circumstances, not raised indoor with their mother. I think 6 weeks is generally safe, though.

Proper de-wormers ARE available OTC in the States but you have to know what to look for. The stuff sold at Walmart, pet stores, and grocery stores is piperazine, which isn't terribly effective, IME. And I think it isn't as safe as pyrantel. To find pyrantel you have to go to a farm store, and I don't think most suburban/urban people think of going to a farm store!

But then horse owners around here certainly don't send out fecals every time they de-worm their horses either. They give de-wormer once a month no matter what.

Last edited:

pariscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just for the record. My kittens are born on the 1st of October. The feast day for Saint Theresa of the Baby Jesus, no less.

They are now 8 weeks old. I certainly don't hope you have changed your mind about the de-worming being a good idea, after all the sermons I have received ??!

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Relax Paris, if you read my reply correctly you will see I am replying to someone else. No one is at your throat

Willowy 6 is likely fine for wormy kittens, mine was in reference to clear kittens

Last edited:

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
missymotus,actually,it-is-correct,per-breeders,vets,and-articles-I-have-read.Maybe-things-are-different-in-your-country,lol,different-area/circumstances?

I-guess-we-are-just-going-to-agree,that-we-disagree-on-this-subject,and-each-one-of-us-will-take-care-of-our-kitties-as-what-works-best-for-us,lol.Seems-like-there-is-one-country,Australia?-that-does-not-have-rabies-at-all.Where-as-in-the-US,we-do,and-for-some-states,its-mandatory-to-vaccinate.Maybe-a-similiar-circustance?

Paris,one-of-my-cats,was-dropped-off-at-my-barn,as-a-kitten.The-vet-estimated,she-was-12-weeks-old.We-had-to-assume-she-had-nothing-done,and-her-worming-and-shots-were-started,at-12-weeks.She-is-now-8-yrs-old,very-healthy-and-very-active.

What-we-have-been-discussing,is-a-guide,just-a-guide,for-those-that-have-control,over-young-kittens.Santa-isn't-going-to-give-you-coal-in-your-stocking,if

the-kittens-worming-and-shots,start-later,than-6-weeks,lol.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, even kittens who had a terrible start in life can grow up to be very healthy. As long as you're willing to spend what you need to at the vet. And if the lady was giving them away free I don't think anybody would have said anything. It's just, well, if I were going to pay money for kittens I wouldn't want to have to do ALL the vetting myself.
I think that really depends. Early illness or malnutrition of the mother/kittens can have a lasting effect on health, or health issues can show up later in life from this... I think this is what is going on with my cats as 5 out of 7 from the litter I rescued now have had health problems and they are only 4 years old... The other two, one is healthy as far as I know and the other I don't really have contact with the person who adopted her so I dont know. Three of the kittens of the litter are showing very similar health problems with the two others with issues having milder problems. I can't prove whether this is due to their early life but I feel that this was an influence, they were born to a feral mom and the three who have the worst problems now were much smaller and skinny compared to the others from the litter, when I found them in my garden at 3 weeks old. So I think that even with the good nutrition and vet care I provided once I rescued them that early life still has affected their health now.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
missymotus,actually,it-is-correct,per-breeders,vets,and-articles-I-have-read.Maybe-things-are-different-in-your-country,lol,different-area/circumstances?
I don't recall saying all the breeders I was talking about were just over here lol

pariscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are all very kind, but I really think, that my questions have been more than amply replied to by now.

And the kittens have had their worm pills today.  So perhaps we should move on to a new topic ?  Just suggesting........ 

Last edited: