Music from your younger days

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

We met Elvis at the stage door of a TV,show he was on. But the "famous kiss" was in the lobby of the Warwick Hotel where he and his group were staying. (Note: I said "lobby". --- those were the old and innocent days). My friend Silvia and I were hanging out in the lobby waiting for Elvis and the group . I still hear from my old friend Silvia and we reminisce about those old days -- where we met Elvis, The Everly Bros., Frankie Avalon and Fabian, Pat Boone, Jerry Lee Lewis. We really have such wonderful memories of those days.
Okay, I took note of the word "lobby".....LOL

.  @kookycats, I hope you were not skipping school to become a "superfan"...LOL...

I love the music of Elvis, Everly Bros, Frankie Avalon and when I was in grade school, I had an album from Jerry Lee Lewis-Great Balls Of Fire,

but I was a teenager in the 80's so most of my memorable music is from then.

Since my cousin and sister were much older they loved listening to the 70's rock (I was not allowed to listen to disco.....it was a rock vs disco world).

But I love disco now, ABBA, Motown, Diana Ross and the Supremes, new country Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, The Mavericks. 

From the 80s it would have been Midnight Oil-(diesel and dust), Cranberries (no need to argue), Toni Braxton(secrets)

Presently,  I love listening to Lorde-heroine and Adele-21  (I just love the lyrics).

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I listened to the Synchronicity album by The Police while I was walking. ...
Wow, fantastic album, I just put on now listening.  so great, thanks for the reminder! ("..packed like lemmings into these metal little boxes...many miles away...",  "... that's my soul up there...", )!  But then I am a huge admirer of most of Sting's work ("Soul Cages", "Nothing Like The Sun", "Ten Summoner's Tales").  LOVE HIM and The Police..

And Duran Duran are the BEST! (far from one-hit land).  Also, please do  not forget Peter Gabriel (i.e. So album, Us album) and everyone else mentioned, such great mentions here,  all so great!

And Prince!! , crikey what with:  When Doves Cry, Little Red Corvette, I Would Die 4 U, Rasberry Beret, Purple Rain,  .. I am done here. So many greats, it makes my head spin!

catdavidlouis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG you guys are literally giving me the chills as all these musical memories come flooding back. I've gotta feeling this thread is gonna be around awhile.

Winchester, I too loved Deep Purple's Machine Head album with Smoke On The Water  and Highway Star and Space Truckin'.  Do you also recall their Who Do We Think We Are album with My Woman from Tokyo, Our Lady, and Rat Bat Blue? Also I share your love for Grand Funk Railroad. Remember their E Pluribus Funk album that came in a round album cover, shaped like a silver dollar?  I wonder what that might fetch on ebay in mint condition. .

Catspaw, Brit Floyd is coming back to Red Rocks on June 12. I am so there.  I know you have Colorado connections. For those of you that dont know, Red Rocks is an acoustically perfect natural ampitheatre, formed out of jagged red rocks in the foothills overlooking Denver. It has an awesome view of the city. Red Rocks has hosted concerts by a who's who of rock over the years.  The Beatles,  Hendrix, Clapton, Grateful Dead, Moody Blues  U2, Springsteen,  R.E.M. to name just a few.  It's literally10 minutes from my doorstep.

Anyway, what a great thread this is. I've noticed not too many Springsteen references here-- probly I'm the only fanatic here at TCS.  But allow me to suggest that you  You Tube Springsteen's live performance of Ghost of Tom Joad   performed by Bruce and Tom Morrello . Its truly the most amazing piece of music I've ever heard IMHO. The guitar riffs are beyond description.  BTW, the song references  the lead character in Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath (Tom Joad), and portrayed in film by Henry Fonda-- as I bet Cassiopea here at TCS could tell you better than I.

Again, Abby's Mom, great thread !

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love My Woman from Tokyo! We have that on the Made in Japan album.

I think Rick had Grand Funk's E Pluribus Funk album (but lost it). It's really a shame with all the album covers that we lost. We saw Grand Funk in concert and what a show! The reason I remember that concert so well is two-fold: We were standing in the crowd and there was a guy behind me who was stoned out of his mind. He kept burying his face into my hair, mumbling, "Herbal Essence, OMG, I love Herbal Essence!" until I finally elbowed him in the ribs and he stumbled away. And because when they finally opened the doors to the arena, they didn't have enough people to deal with the crowd. The crowd surged into the arena and several people were trampled under. One girl sat behind me and she was bleeding pretty badly, but she wouldn't leave. They finally made her leave the building. It was an excellent concert, though.....one of those concerts that killed our hearing for the night.

We have several Springsteen albums, although Rick is more of a fan than I am. I really like Springsteen's Born to Run album. I definitely will check out Ghost of Tom Joad when I get home from work.

I guess I should mention that I was a huge KISS fan, too. We went to see REO Speedwagon (I was an REO fan) and KISS was with them. Up until that point,I hadn't really heard of KISS and I figured they were along the lines of Kool and the Gang (I have no  idea why I thought that). So we get into the building and we're waiting for the concert to start. And then there they were! Amazing music (to me anyway), not to mention the costumes, the fire, all that stuff. They just blew me away. Another night where we couldn't hear a thing when we left the building.

ZZ Top, nobody's mentioned ZZ Top. I loved them. Our son wanted was to go see ZZ Top one year for his birthday, so that's what we did. Loved that concert. And what was funny about that concert was that two older women (well, you know, there were probably my age now!
) slid into the seats behind us. From the way they were talking, they had no clue who ZZ Top was. None. And when the concert started, it didn't take long for them to leave. The concert was great though. They know how to put on a great show.

I'll shut up now. (Again.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Today I listened to the Synchronicity album by The Police while I was walking. ...
Wow, fantastic album, I just put on now listening.  so great, thanks for the reminder! ("..packed like lemmings into these metal little boxes...many miles away...",  "... that's my soul up there...", )!  But then I am a huge admirer of most of Sting's work ("Soul Cages", "Nothing Like The Sun", "Ten Summoner's Tales").  LOVE HIM and The Police..

And Duran Duran are the BEST! (far from one-hit land).  Also, please do  not forget Peter Gabriel (i.e. So album, Us album) and everyone else mentioned, such great mentions here,  all so great!

And Prince!! , crikey what with:  When Doves Cry, Little Red Corvette, I Would Die 4 U, Rasberry Beret, Purple Rain,  .. I am done here. So many greats, it makes my head spin!
YES!!!!!! :high5: Peter Gabriel's Secret World tour was by far the best concert I have ever been to. I saw him again last year in Boston.

I could quote so many posts here, but I am on the tablet and it isn't a big fan of multi-quote. :rolleyes:

Bruce Springsteen - I have the Born in the USA album on vinyl. Thunder Road is a great song.

Love Styx, love Come Sail Away.

Anyone for Talking Heads, the B-52's, etc? Bon Jovi? Genesis, Phil Collins?

When I was in high school I had posters of The Police, Duran Duran, Corey Hart and John Waite plastered all over my bedroom walls. :lol3:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What about Led Zeppelin IV with Stairway to Heaven.
Oh yes! .. Also, Whole lotta love, Ramble On (Gonna sing my song), Rock and Roll (Been a long time, been a long time, been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely  time)

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

What about Led Zeppelin IV with Stairway to Heaven.
@Denice   .....Led Zeppelin....how could that have been overlooked.  Stairway to Heaven is the only song I do know all the lyrics to, since they played it at almost every school dance back then..
.LOL.

If you are still a Led Zeppelin fan, then you have to go see HEART on tour with Jason Bonham, (John Bonham's son).  I saw the show last year, and it was fantastic.  I am more of a Heart fan, but the tribute they did to "Zeppelin" made me want to take out my old albums again, and spin them.

@catwoman707  , thank you so much for pointing me towards that "streaming jukebox"

I cannot stop listening to it.  There are so many genres, and years from 1950-1989, and today I found the canadian section.....

They put HEART in there.....LOL..... (us canadians will sure steal those sisters from you americans...in a flash)

The "Wilson" sisters were from Seattle, not Vancouver, but who cares, because music is international....LOL.

Oh by the way, why aren't more of you music fans '"entering the march contest to draw cats"?  

I know some of you have entered, but I suspect , many of you have artistic abilities that you just don't know. Enter. Come on, its fun.  Draw those cats with the headphones on.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone for Talking Heads, the B-52's, etc? Bon Jovi? Genesis, Phil Collins?

When I was in high school I had posters of The Police, Duran Duran, Corey Hart and John Waite plastered all over my bedroom walls.
Oh yes!  Talking Heads, soon as I heard Psycho Killer and '77 album I loved that band. 
  Some of David Byrne's solo stuff I like but only some.  B-52's were fun but not familiar with much of their stuff other than singles.  They used to remind me a bit of the Flying Lizards. 

ZZ Top, nobody's mentioned ZZ Top. I loved them. Our son wanted was to go see ZZ Top one year for his birthday, so that's what we did. Loved that concert. And what was funny about that concert was that two older women (well, you know, there were probably my age now!
) slid into the seats behind us. From the way they were talking, they had no clue who ZZ Top was. None. And when the concert started, it didn't take long for them to leave. The concert was great though. They know how to put on a great show.

I'll shut up now. (Again.)
Another band I was more familar with in terms of singles, and used to love their videos.  I imagine they would be great fun to see live!

I used to be a massive Bowie fan though you'd never know it from my earlier posts 
  and still remember sitting up really late one night in my mid teens to see a documentary about him: he was being interviewed in a car and there was music playing in the background that hit me right in the heart!  Of course this was all pre-computer and music search aps so others of my age will appreciate my passion when I say I went out on a mission to find out what that track was imediately afterwards.  It took me about a month but discovered Aretha Franklyn as a result.  What a result. Now there is a voice  I love to listen to. 
   Aretha Franklyn, and Roberta Flack is another.  

Going back a bit beyond my own years I also love Peggy Lee's voice, and she sang some really fun songs! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
B-52s fan here, too. Also, Devo, Ultravox, Talking Heads, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, James Gang. Didn't like music like Journey, Boston, Springsteen and such. Love Joe Walsh, hate the Eagles. Anything that sounds country
, but I do like Willie Nelson. Never liked bluegrass, but do like blues. Like the Beatles, can't stand Elvis.

Love Classical of all kinds.

Everyone around here thinks I have strange musical tastes. I follow Beethoven Symphony #9 with Ultravox. Most of the vehicles are playing either country or rap.