Muscle Loss In Senior Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, joyfulrose joyfulrose . Even though it’s been a year and a half, I still miss Max. It still hurts. And like you, there are times when I think, “Should I have done this? Or that?” But every decision I made about Max—about all of my cats over the years—has been made with love and with trying to do the best for them. Just like you did.

One of the valuable things about this forum is that I keep learning ways to better care for my kitties. And I feel surrounded and supported by a host of people who feel as I do. They’re surrounding you, too. :alright:
@Tobermorey You are so welcome. I think no matter how long it's been the pain of losing our babies will always be there :( It's been a month and two weeks since I lost my baby Rosie and I feel like I will never be the same again. I loved her so so much. She was my everything. I just can't believe she is gone. I did try to do the best that I could for her. And I did everything with love. I wish that was enough and I truly wish with all of my heart I was able to get her through this. It just really hurts because I will never know what it was and if there was something else I could have done differently that would have had a different outcome. I have been reading up on everything the vets had suspected and just trying to find some information or something that will give me peace of mind so that i can know i was right to trust the vets that night and that i made the right decision.

I agree this website has been a blessing. I have learned so much and I am forever grateful to everyone who has ever read or replied to any of my posts. There are so many wonderful, kind, and caring people on this site and I am thankful for everyone who offers their love and support. It's nice to know there are so many other people out there who love and care about cats as deeply as I do. <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I know you said that your beloved Tawny passed away from FIP. I had a question if you don't mind? If you are familiar with coronavirus titers maybe you can help me better understand? Or if anyone else is familiar? I was looking over all of my baby's blood work and at her coronavirus titers and I wanted to know, what would be considered a high titer? And would that make it more likely for her to develop FIP?

Her results 7 months ago-
Feline Coronavirus Titer:
FCV AT 1:400 POSITIVE
FCV AT 1:1600 POSITIVE

Her results 2 weeks before she passed-
Feline Coronavirus Antibody by IFA:
Positive @ 1:1600

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the cats you have lost :(
Thank you. I still miss him and all the others I've lost over the years. But I know in my heart that I did the very best I could for all of them.

With Toby we battled his CKD for over 3 years. And although we did switch him to a kidney diet when we got the diagnosis (he was already in stage 3), one of the foods we used was a higher protein yet low phosphorus food. New studies have shown that it's not the higher protein that is the problem with CKD but too high phosphorus. So you feeding her foods with higher protein, I doubt, was the reason for her quick decline. And besides, if there is one thing I've learned with dealing with a CKD cat, is that when they are end stage, WHAT they eat does not matter as much as that they simply EAT.
My Toby was never able to regain any weight he lost over the last few years, even with the higher protein foods. So we just worked with what we had and tried our best to keep him mobile and as strong as he could be.
Near the end he was also anemic (another symptom of CKD) so we tried the injections but I don't think they really helped much.
In our situation, his decline was inevitable, no matter what, simply because the treatment for CKD and the treatment for CHF are completely opposite and can worsen the other condition. So when he started to retain the fluid, all we could do was try to find a balance for the two conditions, until he was ready to go.
If what my Toby had is what you think your Rosie had (CKD with the development of CHF or ascites) there really wasn't much you could do. And even if you could have treated one or the other condition, as I said, they just don't last very long in that situation (as far as I was told and experienced).
If you believe Rosie may have had either FIP or cancer, honestly, and I know it still hurts, but you saved her from a painful end.
And even if it was the pancreatitis and infection that took hold, she may simply have not had the fight left in her due to any of the other above mentioned conditions.

Again, I know I'm not helping you narrow down the possibilities surrounding the cause of her decline. And I hope I'm not making things worse with the what ifs, but rest assured Rosie knew you loved her, and still do. You did what you could, and nobody can ask any more of you (INCLUDING YOURSELF) than what you did. We all do what we can with the information we have in front of us, and hope the outcome will be great, but sometimes, the time has come and there is simply "one thing" left to do. And that one thing, as difficult as it is, is the final act of love and compassion you can show your beloved.

"It is far better to let them go a day too early, than to have them pass a day too late." I'm not sure who said that first, but it is something that helped me realize that even if I could have kept one of them going "just a bit longer", or put them thru another stressful test, that probably would not have changed anything other than give me an answer, what kind of quality of life would they have had because I was not ready or able to understand what was happening.
You'll probably never know what the exact cause of her decline, something I know you don't want to hear, because like you, I NEED answers too. I get what you're going thru, I'm the queen of what ifs, and to this day, I still research the different conditions my kitties have passed from. But I've shifted my focus on simply having the knowledge, and try to push any thoughts of guilt away. It will only make be a better kitty slave for the next ones. It's not easy, but it does get better.
Toby was one of three cats that we lost in a span of two months, all from different conditions, just a few months ago. Caring for all three was my life, all consuming. And with each passing, my hair started falling out, I could hardly concentrate at work, my immune system was shot and I got sick three times (I never get sick). I lost weight (it seems back now lol!), and was completely withdrawn from the world, because I felt I could not miss anything at home. I was never really able to grieve the losses because I had to keep it together for the others, and keep working to pay all my vet bills. And I had to continue to look for answers for the others. And with Christmas and the holidays just around the corner, well...nobody wants to be around a stressed out, sad sack, so I had to keep trucking along and get things ready. The shock you feel because you didn't think you would be letting her go that day, is something I know all to well as well. And that too will ease with time.
So as I mentioned, I get it! But, as hard as it was, I had to move past the what ifs, because deep down, and I know if you really think about it, you will see as well, that even if you don't get your answer, the outcome would probably not be any different. That's yet another hard pill to swallow, but that too will ease with time.
I'll stop rambling, but know we are all hear for you. We know what it's like, we understand the guilt and what ifs. I wish you all the best and that you find your peace of mind soon.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I knew, but I don't. Did you search the internet for what those titer levels might mean? Tawny passed over 25 years ago. You think information about FIP is bad now, just imagine how terrible it was back then.

@Ghunter1089 stated back on 1/11 that his cat's level was
Feline Coronavirus >=10240 - however that can be compared to yours, I have no idea.

Also, kind of an 'FYI' - just this past Saturday, @PeytonC provided an article about more conclusive testing that is apparently now being done. Most of us who have read it are still skeptical if it is actually any more accurate than other forms of testing. This test was done his little guy, but I think he is still waiting on the results.

https://idexxcom-live-b02da1e51e754...c75ac/feline-infectious-peritonitis-virus.pdf

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did find this scale regarding corona titers:

The levels listed with FCoV are related to corona specifically, whereas those listed with TGEV are related to 'transmissible gastroenteritis virus'. Now I just have to find something that would explain to me what the heck is TGEV. I personally have never heard of it. Btw, I think the dots on this chart represent exceptions in the results. The boxes represent the majority of case results.

Last edited:

hollyangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will attach a photo but it was kinda all over? the hips and back area, shoulders, a little on the head too but mostly in the hindquarters.

My cat was 17 (unfortunately she passed away a month and two weeks ago :bawling:) I just always wondered if the muscle loss was due to aging or if there was a more serious cause for it. (she was not hyperthyroid though) I had noticed it mainly the last 2 years of her life. She seemed pretty normal despite all of the muscle loss, she still ate and she would still jump up and down from the bed or on to the sink. I was just curious if anyone else had any senior cats who had a lot of muscle wasting as well.. because I have another senior cat who is 16 and she doesn't have as much muscle loss as my other kitty did. Hers is mostly in her back legs and around her shoulders only. She is a different breed though.

Note: This photo was taken about 2 weeks before she passed she had accumulated fluid in the abdomen and had a distended belly here. So the muscle loss stands out a lot more.
That looks like Holly. She's 11 and recently got thinner in her flank area. I took her to the vet and she suggested I give her canned food. I give her a can of Merrick which she devours. She's started to fill out a little bit now.