Munchkin kitten

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

If they were actual siamese munchkins they would have the very thin and elegant body type with huge ears and the characteristic long face. That's what identifies a siamese more than the colour.

Any cat can be pointed and will then have blue eyes
Our Applehead Siamese do not have very thin, elegant bodies although Mika's is certainly more thin and elegant than Bijou's.
Even though Bijou's ears looked huge when he was a baby, they are not overly large now. I guess you could say he's "grown into them".
The applehead also don't have a long face. The Modern Siamese are more as you describe than the Applehead or Traditional. But then, I believe Appleheads and Traditional Siamese are rare in the UK and difficult to come by.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yosemite, you are right on all accounts. I have a tendency to think of the extreme modern Siamese when someone sais Siamese without any identifiers. I actually prefer the traditional Siamese myself and don't think cats should really be bred to deviate from the normal cat look as the modern Siamese and then the pushed in face Persians. This is also why I don't really like Munchkin cats either.

I know I could be called hypocritical since I have a bengal which is definately a man made breed but they're still basic cat shaped, only more so if anything (i.e very robust and athletic) anyway I'm going a bit off topic.

You are right though, Siamese cats come in lots of sizes and shapes.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like breeding to extremes either, but I won't jump down anybody's throat for wanting a modern Persian or Siamese or a Munchkin...

Another vote for "Find a reputable breeder!!"

You want the kind of breeder who demands references from you to make sure the kitten is going to a good home; the kind who lets you visit to see Mom (and maybe Dad) and the kittens several times before you take it home; the kind who makes you promise to spay/neuter (or does it himself) pet quality animals; the kind who insists on indoor residence and no declawing.