mumma cat possible issues

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are hearing a lot of different answers because so many vets do it differently. 
 I think it's fair to say the most common time frame is when the kittens are between 8 and 12 weeks. Some vets will do it earlier if necessary, some prefer to wait until she has completely weaned the kittens. 

So, ask the vet who will be preforming the surgery at what age they prefer to do it at. Also, keep in mind she may come into heat before then. While the surgery can be performed during a cycle the risks do increase and some vets won't do it at all. Go ahead and make the appointment early so you can get on the schedule but know you may need to change it if she's calling during that time. 

Until the surgery happens she must stay indoors and away from any intact males. Given that she was already pregnant when you got her you don't yet know what a heat cycle is like for her. Cats do not bleed like humans and dogs do but many let you know by becoming quite vocal and shall we say, quite amorous. A lot of females will "present" themselves to anyone and anything (butt in the air with the tail low and to the side). Others, however, are silent callers. They show absolutely no signs of being ready to mate. Since you don't know her signals you just have to err on the side of caution and keep her on total lockdown. 

Also bear in mind that cats become amazing escape artists when they want to go meet up for a tryst and Toms will come from miles away to try and be the lucky suitor. I had a Tom scale my second story balcony and almost knocked down my screen door trying to get to a Queen inside. So, keep the windows and doors firmly secure! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh wow!! now i am scared! she is already stalking the back door if the kids go out she will sit right by it. they know not to let her out...but i can see its going to happen if we are not really careful. im going to speak to the vet in a few weeks since the kittens are only just a week old.

we decided we are keeping one.   its definitly a boy this time! (vet checked) so i might see if i can get them in together...is it as important for boys to be done?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's vital for all cats to be 'done'.  Boys who are not done produce vile-smelling urine and usually spray it around the place.  If kept in they can also get sexually frustrated and as a result aggressive.  If not done until after they start spraying they may continue, knowing it's something they do but not why.

Please get him 'done' as soon as your vet will do him.  If they insist on waiting to 6 months ring round the other local vets.  My own males were done at 4 and 5 months.

It's also well worth getting them both chipped.  I've always had my cats chipped and I got one back as a result which made it all so worth doing.

Last edited:

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they will be sorted as soon as possible. i just didnt understand the need for boys.which is why i asked. im new to cats in general...i want to do whats best for them obviously. the term "done" was not meant to be offensive. sorry

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'done' isn' offensive, just a bit of a euphemism.  Neutered is a more correct term though the one my vet writes down for males is castrate.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh wow!! now i am scared! she is already stalking the back door if the kids go out she will sit right by it. they know not to let her out...but i can see its going to happen if we are not really careful. im going to speak to the vet in a few weeks since the kittens are only just a week old.

we decided we are keeping one.   its definitly a boy this time! (vet checked) so i might see if i can get them in together...is it as important for boys to be done?

Haha I didn't mean to scare you but I suppose that's better than her getting pregnant again and you having to go though all this a second time! OS is right, it is just as critical for males to be fixed as it is for females. If you are going to get the two fixed you may talk to your vet about if they will give you a discount for having the whole litter fixed. Then, you can recoup your costs for the surgeries in the adoption fees for the other kittens. 

Is there a bedroom you can confine her to with her kittens just to be on the safe side? I don't know your setup but she really doesn't need the run of the house or to be anywhere near an outside door. If there is the possibility and she goes back into heat trust me, she WILL get out. And, she WILL get pregnant. The expression "as fertile as rabbits" really should be "as fertile as cats." A couple seconds is all it takes! 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are also much better off with the kittens confined when they start crawling out of the nest.  They are messy - they swim in mum's food (normal) and when they start using the tray they tend to have accidents - they suddenly realise they need to go Right Now, and they do, wherever they are.  You could also easily lose (temporarily) a tiny kitten, and once they get boisterous and are scampering around they can knock things over.

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they are safe in my bedroom as far as getting out, they cant get in any little gaps they can get to(its all quite bare)  and i have hard floors...easy cleaning. teh door is always closed when we go out and mum had everything she needs in there.im just a bit surprised she moved them to that spot whilst my husband and i were in bed, she has been quite unsettled since having them and this was her second move so i wouldnt want to move them again and risk upsetting her

the vet said shecan give me voucher to get them all fixed at a very low cost.the new homes had agreed to have them fixed and will meet me at the vets to sign for the vouchers and register the new kittens

x

bombay momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My queen willow has always been a loving cat, always wanting her mummy, but when she was pregnant it got 1000 times worse, at one point I had to ring work & tell them I was poorly because whenever I got up to leave her she cried & cried & I never wanted to put her through the stress, when she was in labour she wanted me stroking her all the time & even now the kittens are 7 days old she comes out has cuddles and then meows until I sit at the entrance of the box while she goes in and wants strokes, she even nudges kittens in my direction for me to stroke & when I get the scales out for nightly weigh in, she looks at the scales nudges the kittens to the entrance of the box, so I weigh them then put them back at her tummy and she purrs and winks at me - as if she knows I'm making sure they are okay :-).so I think it depends on the bond you have with your kitty. Willow also went off her food for an hour or so after labour.
Mossy did similar things to me. Her first litter was in the middle of the night, and she broke water on top of me while sleeping! I ran to get her box, and she followed, dropped the first kitten in the hallway because she HAD to follow me. The other day was better because I knew she was in labor, but if I wasn't sitting on the floor right next to her, with my hand on her back in the box, she would cry and stop pushing or she'd leave and try and find me. 

She was off her food for about a day, but much better now, been drinking TONS though. Great job on adopting her and caring for the little ones.