Multiple Male Cats Peeing

librariangretch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family and I have 16 cats total (we live on a 50 acre farm). Of the 16, only 6 stay "outside," meaning they don't come in the house (but stay in either the barn or garage). Of the 10 inside, 6 are allowed outside (2 stay for short periods of time and the other 4 range from short periods to all day...depends on when they're ready to come in); the other 4 stay in all the time due to various reasons. Of the 10 cats inside (the barn cats aren't part of the issue I'm getting to, so I'm leaving them out), 3 are female and 7 are male; all of our cats have been spayed/neutered.

Okay, the problem... The indoor male cats (except for 2) pee in places other than the litter box; some of them spray, some straight pee, and the others do both. At first, it wasn't a huge issue because it wasn't happening that often. Now it's happened way more frequently. Harder hit areas are the walls and desk/counter areas.

My questions: What is going on? And are there any ways to stop the peeing (or at least cut back on it significantly)?

Getting rid of the cats is out of the question.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, how many litter boxes do you have and what kind of litter boxes are you using?  The golden rule of litter boxes is to have one box per cat plus one extra.  It looks like you may have 10 cats inside your home.  You need a lot of litter boxes or territorial issues like you are describing will arise.  Also are you using covered litter boxes or open boxes?  Are they large enough to accommodate bitter cats?  I like to you the sterilite under the bed storage boxes from Target/Walmart.  They are about 25" long x 18" wide x 5" deep.  Cats that are spraying may benefit from using a large rubber maid tote so that they can spray the walls of it if necessary. Also what are you using to clean the stains?  You need a good enzymatic cleaner so the cats will not continue using the same spots over and over again. 

Here is an article on litter box issues and a few videos to help you out.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Here are some ideas for using rubbermaid totes as a litter box

https://www.google.com/search?q=rub...yfsAXyzYGgDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=647