Multiple Cats Spraying - Already Altered

MsFur08

Crazy Cat Lady
Kitten
Purraise
I have seven cats. All spayed/neutered.

I have 6 litter boxes, except 4 are actually those plastic kiddie pools. The kiddie pools are in the basement, in an open area, and the other litter boxes are on the main floor, without lids. I've seen them all use the litter box completely normally. The issue is spraying, not litter box usage.

For about two years, my F3 Savannah cat (who doesn't look like a Savannah at all except for her bone structure and personality) has become increasingly hostile towards my two white cats in particular. (Note: I believe my Savannah and my white cats have Siamese in their genes - which I know now is linked to territorial behavior .) She's aggressive with all the cats, really, but all except one white cat will stand their ground against her and the dispute usually ends quickly. I suspected this was part of the typical transition into adulthood I've seen often with "adolescent" cats who try to challenge the other cats for territory. (She's the youngest at about 3 years old). And maybe that was why it started, but this has gone on too long and become a spraying war that is destroying my house and causing a lot of stress.

I tried Feliway and I felt it actually made the situation worse. I tried playing with them consistently and it seemed to invoke more fighting and the ones who need it most won't participate even if I try to separate them from the other cats (moving them around seems to freak them out too much to think about playing).

Recently, my Savannah even started peeing blood when she sprayed and, after $500 in tests, the vet said it was from being stressed (except, she's causing most of the stress!) Her urine is back to normal after anti-inflammatory medication. But she's still spraying. Everywhere.

I'm pretty sure my two white cats are also spraying. And one of my males is too - even though he seems to get along with all the cats and doesn't fight with my Savannah. I should mention we have ferrets and a puppy that he hates... My Savannah also hates the puppy, but loves the ferrets. All the cats dislike the puppy. But, he is outside playing in the yard most of the day and sleeps in a crate at night, so the cats can easily keep their distance. Even when he is inside, he's kept in the kitchen (he still chews everything).

I know a big part of the problem is deferred aggression. The cats technically have enough space to avoid each other if they want to, but my kids are loud. My Savannah is sensitive to noise. She loves the kids and is extremely protective of them. I've caught her sitting in the window, growling at passing neighbors (she hates strangers) because the kids were playing loudly and she thought they were being hurt. She's even literally attacked me for raising my voice at my own kids - so I've been trying not to look like I'm a threat to them, lol. She acts like they're her kittens, which is sweet, but she's taking it too far with the spraying and attacking everyone any time she perceives the possibility of danger. I've tried reducing noise and keeping things calmer, but with three young kids, that's not likely to happen consistently any time soon.

The vet recommended possibly giving her anxiety medication, but I hate to resort to that and want to see if there are any other possibilities. She's still a relatively young cat. If I do need to put her on medication though, does anyone have any suggestions or precautions? I worry about possible side effects, especially with her being a hybrid. I would also hope if she needed meds, it would be temporary.

I won't give her away or have her euthanized. She loves us and we love her. The spraying is making me crazy though and I'm too embarrassed to have people over anymore because of the smell. Not to mention that my house is not longer a relaxing place to be.

These are my two white cats. They from the same litter. I've had them since birth. They're a bit skittish around people, but enjoy letting me pet them. They are about 7 years old.

271747_3126731907092_1112731322_o.jpg

This is Davy, my male cat with the blue scar on his eye. I got him from a city shelter when he was 3 months old. He was already neutered and had this on his eye.
1606212_10200486975096749_642287193_o.jpg

This is Ginger, my oldest cat at 16 years old. I got her when she was 8 from someone who barely fed her, and only gave her dog food when she does eat. I believe her vision is impaired, but she is still active and friendly.
10373825_10201245774666264_3269060458561689950_n.jpg

This is Onyx, my other male cat. He lost part of his rear foot due to a fast and severe infection from an injury. I'm not sure how he got injured though. He is otherwise healthy and about 3 years old.
15974958_10206093727822063_3248958728830186380_o.jpg

These are Vannah (my three year old F3 Savannah with unusual coloring - the one doing most of the spraying and aggressive behavior) and Meeps (my 8 year old brown tabby who is friends with anyone as long as they don't start anything with her first, in which case she will make you stop, like she does with Vannah, who apparently respects that).
28618810_10208655393942115_699159575645542131_o.jpg

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, congrats to you for having so much love for all the creatures in your life! And beautiful pictures!

I don't like Vannah growling at neighbors walking by, or attacking you, or spraying blood. That all sounds very bad...like she is anxious beyond all reason.

If you are really unwilling to find her a new home, medication sounds like the best choice. Hopefully it can be low dosage and temporary - maybe a few months, just to reset her relationships with everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsFur08

Crazy Cat Lady
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I don’t think finding her a new home would do her any good. I think she would just be stressed there too, plus add in the confusion and distress of losing her people. Being a Savannah, the breed is known for becoming extremely attached to their families. Obviously she is capable of getting along with other cats, since she does really well with the boys and Meeps (and doesn’t bother Ginger usually). I really think it’s mostly the deferred aggression from the stress of trying to protect everyone and the cats she gets along well with are just more forgiving and don’t hold her “moments” against her as much.

It may turn out that medication is the only option.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
And thank you for giving home to all those beautiful cats. :petcat:

I've never had more than 1 cat at a time, so I can't reply from personal experience, just things I've learned from reading threads at TCS.

Are you using an enzyme cleaner to remove the urine? That is the only type of cleaner that will totally get rid of the urine smell.
Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine

Also, I've read there's 2 kinds of Feliway. So there might be another type that might work for you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I think the Savannah does need meds. She clearly has some issues and meds can help put her brain back on track. Once it's obvious that it's a brain chemistry problem, there's no point in trying anything besides medication. It might take a few tries to find the right medication and dosage, I think most vets like to start with Prozac though.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meds might be the answer .

However litter boxes need to be in important places so the cats can own it. I know every one hates litter boxes in the living room/bedrooms/kitchen if need be; but is the spraying better? I would try adding another 4 litter boxes placing them where your cats spray/mark the most. Real litter boxes, cheaply bought from petco/chewy not pools. It might make a difference.

I would also try harness training my savannah so she can mark her territory outside. I'm not sure what to do about the yelling issue.