Multi-Cat Household Urine Problem

linkage401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently moved my 2 cats, brothers Hank and Dean age 3, in with my girlfriend who has 2 young kids and 3 cats. Her friend had a litter about a year ago and she adopted a girl, Dinah. A few months later she adopted the mom, Juniper (stray found curled up in a hose w/ the litter) and then a few months after the brother Pedro. Her 3 cats had been living together for a while before I moved my boys in. Juniper is a sweet cat, but hides in the basement rafters all day and night. Hank is the cuddler. Pedro wants to be pet all day. Dean demands your attention for 10 minutes then goes about his business. Dinah wants you to pet her just to rip your arm off.

Shortly after i moved my boys in somebody started peeing in the basement. Sometimes it's the odious ammonia smell that makes you want to puke and other times it's barely noticeable or smells almost like sugar water. It's now started to move into the living room and occasionally a bedroom. Hank and Dean lived with two male cats before being moved and there were no urination problems. The four cats that roam the house don't really get along. There hasn't been any serious fights. Mostly hissing/growling from Dinah and occasionally Hank and Pedro. We have 3 large litter boxes, that are cleaned every other day, three food bowls and a large water bowl. We've never actually caught a cat in the act of peeing outside a litter box. We just assume it's my cats or caused by my cats. This is starting to put a serious strain on our relationship because she just bought the house in February and this cannot continue.

I really need help figuring out the culprit or how to make it stop. I was looking into Feliway, but none of the cats seem too stressed out. They all pretty much act as the did before moving in together. My local pet store is all high school kids so they have been little help. So I come to you. Any tips, tricks or products we can use to fix this problem would be extremely helpful.

Thank you so much for any input!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do try the Feliway. Even if they don't look stressed to you, they obviously have problems or they wouldn't be spraying.

Clean up any messes as soon as possible. Follow with Feliway spray. Hopefully you have them all fixed, if not, please do that.

If nothing helps, you can have your vet prescribe anti-anxiety medication.

Don't despair. It happens to many of us! I sent you links to some good articles, please try out some of those tricks and tell us if anything works.

Last edited: