Multi cat household - how do you manage?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We have 9 cats. They make a lot of cleaning for me; I'd say at least 50% of my cleaning is cat-related (hair, puke, poop, and pee). However, I wouldn't trade them for the world!

To minimize bowl cleaning, and yes, I know this is not "green": I buy small styrofoam bowls in bulk, and trash them every day (I do 2 feedings. If any are bit dirty, I rinse them out before re-filling them). I have 3 large water bowls that are ceramic. I place a plastic boot tray under both sets of dishes, which keeps spills and kibble off the floor; I wash the trays at least every few days. Since someone likes to play with the water, and gets it all over the kitchen, I place a folded disposible bed pad (incontinence pads) on the boot tray. I buy these in bulk on eBay--a case of 200 (wonder what the seller thinks about DH and I????
). I also use a few on the living room area rug--Hobbes will not go into the garage to do #1 in the litter (but poops there); our compromise, and to save the rug, is to put these down, and change when he wets (I hide them when we have company!).

Food: We feed Purina dry food, the mid-range stuff (cheap stuff makes Jasmine's fur fall out); their coats are BEAUTIFUL and shiny. I feed them 9 Lives canned food. Honestly, they don't really like the high-end food, and they are all doing very well with what I give them. We get a 20lb or so bag of dry every week, and I go through at least 2 cans of canned each day.

Litter: They like Cat's Pride litter. We buy a huge bag every week--about $4.50-$5.00 at WalMart. I empty it into one of those plastic, flip-top pet food containers (as with the dry food in the kitchen). I sometimes get lazy, and buy the Cat's Pride "Kat Kits"--pre-filled, disposable little trays. I keep these mainly for when I'm in a rush, but see someone's really messed in a litter box. Often, when I have time, like on the weekends, I scrub out those trays, and re-fill them. Not always. They are about $2.50 in stores, shop around--I've seen them as much as nearly $5! For everyday boxes, I buy WalMart's litter trays, about $3.97 each. Sturdy, cats like 'em, and cheap. Mine won't use those hooded boxes, and I find that fancy boxes don't work any better, and just have more parts to clean. I have about 15 of these; I line them with plastic shopping bags, then insert the box into a heavy-duty, drawstring Hefty bag. (The shopping bags help keep wet litter off the box surface, making washing easier.) I'm very lucky in that we have a garage, not used for cars, that's attached to the laundry room. We installed a cat door, and have the litter in the garage. This is sooo nice! We also installed a laundry sink; and we re-purposed an old bathroom vanity, by screwing plywood to the top. It's by the sink, the drawers hold litter supplies (the boxes fit in the door part), and I have a flat surface to wash and prep the boxes on! At least once a day, the boxes get scooped. At least once a week, I empty, wash them out with hot water and soap, and re-fill. I also sweep and mop this floor oncea week. I even put down mats, so their little paws don't have to touch the cold floor!

Bedding: They like the Rubbermaid/Sterlite shallow plastic storage bins. I fold up fleece throws I bought cheaply, and put in the boxes, and they LOVE them. Once a week, I remove them, wash in hot water to kill any fleas, etc., and replace with others. Recently, I got rid of a king-size bed comforter. I quartered it, hemmed the edges, and used the pads in the boxes. I can wash them easily. The boxes reside next to the heater vent--toasty warm! When I fostered, I bought comforters at yard sales, and trashed them after each set of foster cats, in order not to pass on disease.

Medical care: We take them to a retired vet, who has vaccination clinics at the pet store. At least we can save on the shots. Flea meds: eBay--Frontline, in bulk. You just have to measure it out yourself; easy. If I take 2 or more to the vet, & they get the same things done, we get a tiny discount. Sometimes, when we get a new cat, and take them in, they give us a jug of cat food, and rebate forms to get xxx-$ off a vet visit. I also scarf up the free cat food samples there (I always leave some for others, of course)!

Love: Oh, they get LOTS of this! I really think it keeps them healthy, too. I have 3 FeLV+ cats, who look so healthy, and are so happy. Sometimes, I must admit, it gets to be a bit overwhelming for me (someone always needs attention, and they are not shy about clawing their way to it). I try to relax, and take the time to cuddle--I know how lucky I am to have these cats. Often, I have at least 3 on my lap, or laying on me in bed. I was home on vacation the past 2 weeks, & I felt like a stay-at-home mom, with all of the naughty kids getting into trouble! (My guys are active!). I had to break up fights, soothe boo-boos (Loki again); give hugs and kisses, and yell at bad cats. I try to give them equal amounts of attention, and more to those going through a rough day. I take turns holding them, if possible. BJ gets his hug and his song sung to him at least once a day. (I'm not making this up, I swear!)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittycorner

Our family and friemds think that we are crazy for having the 9 that we have and a 6 mos. old baby but we do just fine. My husband and I make sure that we spend adequate time with each kitty and believe it or not we can all fit on the bed at night!!! As for the cost of owning all of them-we have to buy special food because Uno is allergic to chicken-the main ingredient in almost every frickin cat food, and every one of them has some genetic problem-we are always at the vet-I have stopped keeping track of what it all costs-I am sure I would pass out if I ever found out, but to my husband and I our cats our our passion-we have never had to get in an argument over the cats. We love our cats and would kill anyone who ever caused harm to them. It can be expensive and time consuming, but well worth the love you recieve in return. ( we have rescued or adopted all our cats from bad situations and will continue to do so in the future.)
You and your DH sound like us! Our cats bring us even closer together. And all of ours are rescues, too (hmmm...blame my DH for most of them!). Sometimes, we'll be sitting around, and Dh will say, "I LOVE our cats!", and I get that warm, fuzzy feeling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

We have 9 cats. They make a lot of cleaning for me; I'd say at least 50% of my cleaning is cat-related (hair, puke, poop, and pee). However, I wouldn't trade them for the world!
Oh my! Thank you so much for sharing all the info. I just know that it is not impossible to live with so many cats but I really still can't imagine having so man y cats and caring for all of them at the same time. How long have you been caring for them? I feel all warm and fuzzy reading what you are doing and how much love you're showing to them. So blessed are you cats and you too!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitten? Bringing another kitten into the house if he is still young shouldn't be a problem. I have 6 (and that IS my limit!!) and we've never done the slow introduce thing. We've always just put them done and let them hiss and posture, keeping an eye on things of course, and within an hour they are off playing. The slow introduce thing is good for older cats who are established, but kitten just want to play!

The real experience is when they are 6 months to a yr old. That is when they still have the energy of a kitten, but getting the size of a big cat. That's when they get into EVERYTHING!! They don't know how big they are and still think they can squeeze into places they explored...but they can't. Yeah, you're in for an experience.

I always say "cats are like tattooes...once you have one, what's one more" (I like the chip thing too!). Caring for more than one isn't that much more.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

You and your DH sound like us! Our cats bring us even closer together. And all of ours are rescues, too (hmmm...blame my DH for most of them!). Sometimes, we'll be sitting around, and Dh will say, "I LOVE our cats!", and I get that warm, fuzzy feeling.
That is soo crazy my husband is to blame for more than half of the cats we own!!! When we got married we each had 2 of our own, since then he has brought home 3 more, when I was pregnant I let the hormones get to me and he chose not to argue with them and we added 1 more, then recently I started working for a cat only hospital and a resident cat up for adoption for 6 mos. won over my heart and I had to bring her home (to try!) and within less than 2 days my husband was begging me to keep her!!! It does make you all warm and fuzzy inside!!!!!!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats and the hard part for me isn't the cost, it's that they eat different foods and have entirely different nutritional needs. (A kitten and a large adult).

I only go through a little bit more litter with 2 cats than I did with 1. (I now have 2 boxes instead of 1, although only 1 gets used). The only thing I can't do now with 2 cats that I could with 1 is use crystal litter. It just is too expensive to use when you have more than 1 cat. With regular clay clumping litter, not that much more $$$. Food is only a little bit more a month for Chloe, $20-40 more (for her kitten dry and wet food). I can't wait until they are eating the same dry food and wet food. (Mattie doesn't like leftovers so being able to split a larger 5.5oz can between them will be nice).

I don't have the space to buy things in bulk, but if I did I would.

Kittens do best with other kittens, they entertain each other.

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[ There is nothing in this world I would rather have than my kitties [/quote]

I could not have put it any better!!! I do give up alot for them...but they are well worth it each and every one of them

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm allergic to cats and we rescued one feral kitten to see how it went. Within a week we had two and were trapping, spaying & neutering all the ferals (or strays) that came to the feeding station we put up. At one point we had a colony of about 20 ferals.

Within a year we had four feral rescues now indoors-only pets. We added one more the next year, basically funded the start-up of a no-kill shelter (so now we had a way to develop "distribution"
) - and we adopted our sixth the year after that. There were a lot of feral kitten fosters inbetween.

BUT.... we lived in a small space during most of that - an RV that is 37 feet long and 8 feet wide (we live in a 3 bedroom house now), so it was very easy to tell who was sick, and we got to know each kitty and their patterns and behavior really easily because we all lived on top of each other.

We stopped at six because that's our comfort level. We think in terms of emergency - and that is how many crates and cats we can fit into the car at one time. They're all happy on RV trips now - and we're scared that a 7th would "break the camel's back" so to speak.

The other problem is that after the first two, the only ones we brought into our home were kitties with problems. If they've got medical or behavioral problems, they can be very expensive to care for, and at this point in time we cannot imagine adopting a cat someone else would. And we no longer have the income we did, so we can't afford to adopt another kitty-in-need.

Anyway.... as adults, they don't really hang out with each other anymore. For the first two years, almost every picture I have is of at least two cats - sleeping with each other, cuddling with each other, grooming each other, playing with each other. Now that they're all older, it's basically just Ming Loy who looks at all the other cats as toys - but none of them mind because she's handicapped, and they can run away and jump up a cat tree and get away from her. Flowerbelle enjoys taunting her from time to time.

HOWEVER - there is something to be said for the bond you develop with just one cat. We do have problems with jealousy and attention sometimes. And funny enough, looking back, now that we know Lazlo (our first rescue kitty) as well as we do, it is SO apparent to us that he would have been perfectly happy as an alone cat.

Our experience - having brought in 6 ourselves (3 males and 3 females) and having fostered mostly females - is that females tend to be jealous and take longer to accept other females brought into the home.

Cats are not by nature pack animals like dogs are, and while as kittens they can really enjoy having a playmate around, as adults they're far more "take it or leave it" - though there are plenty of adult kitty-mates.

With your little girl, if you're considering adopting another kitty, then I'd adopt a male. All of our males are far more social with the other kitties, accepting of new kitties almost immediately, and our "ambassador" kitty is a male. After the first two kitties, we didn't really "choose" which kitties we adopted - they found their way to us, and circumstances were such that they stayed. We wouldn't trade a single one. But based on our experiences, if I were ever in a situation (God forbid) where I had just one female kitty, I'd adopt a male, not a female - assuming I was in a position to choose my kitty as opposed to being in the position we've been in - where the kitties were choosing us.

Laurie

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

Oh my! Thank you so much for sharing all the info. I just know that it is not impossible to live with so many cats but I really still can't imagine having so man y cats and caring for all of them at the same time. How long have you been caring for them? I feel all warm and fuzzy reading what you are doing and how much love you're showing to them. So blessed are you cats and you too!
Hi Tutti,

Thanks for the very nice compliments! We try our best to be good kitty parents.

We started out with 1, who was DH's own cat when I met him 5 years ago. When we got our apartment, I found #2, a stray. Fast forward to over a year later, when we bought our house. That's when #3 came to us, another stray. About 7 months later, DH found Willi and Loki at work, strays. Numbers 4 &5! 1 1/2 years later, DH found a litter of 4 kittens where he delivered (he's a truck driver). Add numbers 6,7,8, and 9! (Three of those ended up with FeLV.)

You know, when we had 3, I remember thinking, "Ok, 3's about all we can handle." Then it got to be, "Ok, we don't need any more than 5; no more cats until someone dies!--I can't handle all of these "kids"!". Oh well...I take it as a sign from God that he wants us to care for strays. Honestly, I see it as my reason for being alive (I think everyone has some talent that they can use to make the world a better place; it's just a matter of stumbling upon it, sometimes). We were talking about our cats earlier today, in the car. I get so much satisfaction from knowing I'm giving them the best care I can. Most of them would have literally been dead, if we hadn't taken them in. We decided that our guys have a great place to live; a lot of love, good food, medical care, warm places to sleep, companionship (other cats), and lots of windows, and places to run and play. Sometimes, I have to admit, they can get on my nerves a little; I just try not to let it bother me.

Even though I can't take in any more cats (because of the exposure to FeLV), a few weeks ago, I nearly found myself fostering again. I was in a store, when I got to chatting with an employee. Her daughter was going to take a 6-month-old cat to the SPCA that day. I gave her my cell phone, and told her to call home, and stop her; taking the cat there could be a death sentence. She was able to get the cat back (she's keeping it). I thought, if my local no-kill shelter couldn't take her (as it turns out, they can't), I could foster the cat in quarantine for a week or so. I must be nuts! but, what could I do--let a cat go to its almost certain death, or take the chance, crazy as it sounds?

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took in my 4th this time last year (boy it's been a year already? sheesh!)

I don't know if it's just me, but they are no trouble at all really. They are independant and sleep most of the days away but seem to have developed their own time slots for affection which don't interfere with eachother.

I have 2 dogs in the house also. No problems there either. When my daughter comes home from college, she always has to comment on the "harmony" in the house amongst the animals.

That makes ME feel warm and fuzzy!!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owning 3 cats for me is heaven as they all get along with one another, and also the dog (thank god!)

Although they don't play with one another like they used to, it's nice to see them together in other forms i.e. sleeping next to each other or all eating from the same bowl at once..

The two youngest ones (Shark and Arwen) do have the odd days where they will play up and fight with each other, but they seem to make it up in the end. Brandy does his own thing, he is more of an outdoor cat, whereas the other two enjoy time indoors sleeping.

Overall, I love al three of my cats, no matter what they want to do with themselves during the day, be it sleeping, getting on my nerves with constant mewing or just being there for cuddles!

emw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we now have six. I originally had 3 dogs and 3 cats and 2 cockatiels and 2 budgies, in a 1000 sq foot home. I rescued a stray who had 5 kittens and one didn't make it. I got all the kitties home and before that we had lost two of our dogs. Well two homes did not work out, one never called me back and the other didn't commit to them and we ended up with my kitten and an additional cat. So now we have six and I did try to find the recent cats homes without any luck and I just could not turn them over to the humane society. They are all extremely special. We joke that we spend less in dog food and more in cat litter now. We now have two dogs, one a smaller dog from the pound. I made a purchase of two of the scoop free cat boxes and they do work well. I also have changed to the crystal litter and I pick it up a lot more than before. We are now looking for more room for us but we have managed quite well and would not give anyone up. Everyone is spayed and neutered.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 3 right now... I had always planned on only having 2 cats at any time, but things didn't quite go as planned (happily enough for me).

That said, ours seem to fulfill each other's social needs pretty much. Only one of mine really craves attention on a regular basis, the other primarily wants to play, so it works out pretty well.

On the topic of expenses:
Two things have been really important for me in terms of keeping cost down.
1. Buying large bags of food that everyone can eat (I buy online, enough for 4 months worth at one time, it's cheaper than getting several smaller bags).
2. Finding a good quality litter that clumps well (so that less is wasted on loose clumps) and finding a cheaper litter... I was using chicken feed at one point, ($10 for 50lbs) but have gone back to feline pine right now... Hopefully I can get them to use the regular FP pellets, so that I can eventually switch them to the stove pellets which are very cheap

As to vet visits, our vet is pretty good about giving us a "frequent buyer" discount
But, spreading the regular trips out helps. I try to keep their dishes, etc. very clean (and the litter box) to keep down on germs. I think also, that feeding them seperately (in seperate bowls) helps reduce the spread of germs.

Art

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats right now. They are from the same litter, though we got Molly a week earlier than Polly. Obviously, I play with them both, but they do a great job of occupying each other. The cost of food, spays, and shots have been larger together than for one cat, but it isn't too much more. They spend a lot of time together and are very close, so I don't feel as guilty when leaving the house as I would if I only had one cat.
Though they are sisters, they are individuals with particular needs, but it always works out. They usually want individual time with me at different times, and it's nice when they both want to cuddle.
I cleaned the litter box the week we had Molly before getting Polly (and I've had 7 cats at once when I was younger, so I'm used to it), so it wasn't much of a change since you do that whether there is 1 cat or there are 4.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would always try to have 2 kittens. i think they grow up faster if they don't have a buddy to play with.

filteredsunlite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like people, they all have different personalities. Katie, my oldest, is high-demand when it comes to attention. More often than not, I'm typing with her sprawled in my lap. If we're on the couch watching a movie, she's in my lap being pet and/or brushed. The rest of the time, she's pretty content to nap on the bed or the back of the couch. Marrs is 7 years old and pretty independent. When he wants/needs attention, he seeks it out. (Often ruffling Katie's feathers if she's already in my lap...I have to explain that we don't bite or hit, but she quickly forgets.) Tiger is three and he was a ferral kitten. Usually he just wants a few minutes of petting in the morning and then he goes his own way the rest of the day. Jewel, the baby of the bunch at 6 months old, isn't overly concerned with attention at the moment...there are ficuses to climb and stray dog kibble to be used as hockey pucks on the kitchen floor! They all tend to pile into bed with us at night, so that seems to satisfy some of their need for closeness, too, without requiring any extra effort on our part.

As long as the litter boxes can all be kept in only one or two spots in the house, it's no more bother to clean several than it would be to clean one. I use the bin feeders and watering bowls so I don't have to refill a bowl every single day. I have short haired cats as well, so there's usually not a lot of intense grooming to be done.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I foster, and it is only tricky when you have more than one cat wanting to be on your knee at the same time, or play with the same toy, and they dont get on. I only have one of my own cats at the moment (will be adopting one of my fosters at some point this year) and she lives in my bedroom, so has her time early morning/late night, either when i Am on the PC, or in bed, and the nearly permanent foster has fallen into that routine too.