Multi cat home, one cat eats all the food and is now very overweight

sarola28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted two cats in August and my kitten was very underweight. He's since plumped up to normal size, but my 2 year old cat has been eating all of the food. When he doesn't finish his food and goes back to graze, she eats it all. She's gotten so fat and I can't be home all the time to monitor her eating, but she's obese. She was 8 pounds at adoption and now weighs 12. I don't know what to do! Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarola28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't eat it all at one sitting that's the main problem, he eats until he's full and then goes back. I separate them at first but I can't take his food away and leave him hungry all day, she comes around and eats it if I'm not home and he needs to eat

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarola.

I agree with Crazy for Strays.You are obviously feeding them dry food right? If you went to all canned food even the cheapest like friskies(non fish) You would see seperating them & if they liked their new meat would eat it all up.Your kitten should be eating kitten food not adult.IMO.I used to have 8 indoor kitties and gradually when i was down to three,all three had seperate diets because of health issues.They were all fed in seperate rooms everyday.Please read about canned vs dry diets.Dry diets were not designed for cats but rather for convenience of owners.Here honey I'm going to work. Here's your bowl and off we'd go.For a kitty to lose weight now you have to be very careful .1/2 per month only.If you went to meat or you are feeding all meat & your kitty is still cleaning it all up the only option is to seperate them for feeding.Or to get a programmable feeder  that works off their microchip if you have them microchipped and it will open only for that cat.Putting three meals in three compartments as per instructions.It's not what we want to do.It is what we have to do.Hugs C.Here is a link to read about food & almost everything else.www.catinfo.org

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarola28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The kitten is definitely chipped I'll have to look into that. I don't like feeding them dry but the wet food gives them loose stools. I am giving them natures variety instinct raw dry food and the canned limited ingredient lamb, but I only give one wet meal per day so they don't get diarrhea. The kitten was on blue buffalo kitten but Luna kept eating it and she got heavy very fast. The natures variety indicates that it is also for kittens