Muffin and the litter box.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muffin is almost 18 years old and lately she has been using the litter box she will sometimes put her butt over the edge and the urine will go on the floor;. Nothing has changed. I have not change the kitty litter and I keep the box scooped out through out the day. I took both Muffin and Muffy to the vet to have them checked for a UTI. Muffin did not have one but Muffy did. 

Also after Muffin uses the litter box she will get out of the box and sit at the other end of the box and just stare at the spot where peed. I never saw a cat do this before. I was wondering if she might be getting senile. 

Ellen

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that she can't squat as well as she used to, so she is peeing from a higher angle, which means it goes over the edge.  She is probably baffled by that -- how did I miss the box?  I was IN the box.  Hmmmm.    I've found my old girl prefers that I use a DOG litter box (I have multiple cats and multiple litter boxes, so she can actually CHOOSE which one she prefers.)  The DOG litter box is lower and bigger in area than any of the so called cat litter boxes.  I have two of those, and she ALWAYS uses one of them.  I do notice she doesn't squat down as low as she used to, or like the younger cats do.  I imagine her hips bother her as much as mine bother me.  She's 17 now, comparable to my 72 human years.

Here is a link to one like I have (mine is beige but otherwise looks just like this, measurements are the medium sized one.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Dog-L...8RQkwtGsUWUcOEwwxhkIZ--5uM9qYMnruZhoCCIXw_wcB

Of course she can still pee over the edge because it is very low, but if she positions herself in the middle, as mine does, that will not happen.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Yes, Muffin does have arthritis and I guess it would be hard for her to squat in the box. 

Thanks for the link. I saved it and will order a few of the boxes. I think they would work. Muffin is a big cat. 

Ellen