Mucus plug?

D4812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pregnant cat around 55-60 days along has had on and off for a few days a clear/pinkish balloon/bubble type thing that will come out of her lady parts. The bubble is small and if you rub her belly it comes out further. Not sure if this is the mucus plug getting ready to come out? or if it’s something else? She has also been having lots of poops. And will sometimes stand in the litter box pushing and nothing comes out. Kittens are moving lots. And mama purrs and seems happy as can be.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cat around 55-60 days along has had on and off for a few days a clear/pinkish balloon/bubble type thing that will come out of her lady parts. The bubble is small and if you rub her belly it comes out further. Not sure if this is the mucus plug getting ready to come out? or if it’s something else? She has also been having lots of poops. And will sometimes stand in the litter box pushing and nothing comes out. Kittens are moving lots. And mama purrs and seems happy as can be.
is it as a soap bubble, or its skinny so to speak? This is not the common form of mucus plug, but if its as a soap bubble we must presume it is.

If its skinny, with fluid inside; its something else and potentially alarming. Although we had sometimes forumites where something bubble with fluids inside come out, - peculiar and alarming. but the delivery usually goes OK.

Do you have access to a vet knowleable in OBSTETRIC? If so, try to contact this vet, and ask... Perhaps send some photos of this.

Edit: Nasty typo, Obstetric obviously, not pediatric.... :(

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like a membrane - perhaps the sac of one of the kittens. Since she is nearing the end, the kittens may be squeezed near her hind quarters making her feel like she needs to poop. It never hurts to get her checked out, but overall she sounds good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D4812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if it could be a membrane.. it doesn’t at all resemble a mucus plug from what I’ve read and seen. I guess I’m just more worried something isn’t progressing the way it should. I’ll add a pic to show better what I’m talking about
IMG_0405.jpeg

D4812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At around day 60 and still no sign of heavy contractions.. milk is leaking out, can still see kittens moving about inside, temp is at 99 degrees, she still has bubble type thing appear and go back in. I called my vet and they said not to be alarmed and to give her time but gosh.. she’s sooooo tired and unmotivated. It seems like she needs a labor boost. Any tips?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink. The extra calcium will help her to have stronger contractions, and she’ll need the extra calcium through her nursing days.

D4812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Swell! So as I understand it, no complications, although this peculiar membranish- thing?

It feels immediately better. :)

D4812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, this may be a dumb question - but after your mama cat gives birth, when do you change/wash bedding? Everything I read says not to touch the kittens, but how can I clean/change bedding if I can’t touch them?

Enclosed a pic of the 4 little sweets!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, this may be a dumb question - but after your mama cat gives birth, when do you change/wash bedding? Everything I read says not to touch the kittens, but how can I clean/change bedding if I can’t touch them?

Enclosed a pic of the 4 little sweets!
You do change the bedding now and then. At least twice a week. And after the birth the bedding tends to be a mess, so, soon. the only exception may be, if the momma is a high strung semiferale...
Possibly, if you have problems with it, make do an alternative nest nearby, and hope momma will herself move the kittens to in there.

Also, it is a myth they shall not be touched. Look, almost all rescuers and breeders do weight the kittens every day. This cant be done without some touching.
So, although it may be true you shall not overdo the handling of the kittens, but in all normal cases, you DO handle them some.

As said, the exception is high strung ferale mommas you try to help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a second nest box with clean bedding. As I moved the kittens mama got up and went in to be with them. I left it in the same place in the closet as the other one. Also, you can put layers of bedding and gently slide out the top blanket and they have a clean one underneath.