Mucus blood in stool

Shaima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm Shaima from Saudi Arabia, I'm a mom of three male cats. The eldest son Miki is 2 years and 1 month old. Brothers Leo and Santa are one year and five months old. Weight between 5.1 and 4.5 kilos. All of them are healthy, have a good appetite and sterilized

Santa has blood in his stool (the stool looks a little loose and the blood falls out immediately after the stool with the mucus) for 5 months ago. During this period, he infection his brothers twice. But his brothers respond to treatment and their symptoms disappear. Unlike him, the symptoms only improve for 5 days, which is a very short period.

Here is the detailed treatment plan that I followed

I initially gave him anazol 200 (1.3ml twice a day) starting 3/5/2023 to 7/5/2023. It is From the Flagyl family but for children from the human pharmacy (that's what my vet prescribed)

After that, worm pills caniverm (weighing 10 kg), so i give him a half a pill daily for 3 consecutive days, starting from 7/5/2023 until 9/5/2023, and after 14 days, 23/5/2023, only half a pill.

During this course, Miki got better, but Leo and Santa were still sick, so I had the stool sample checked at the vet. He assured me that there were worms and eggs, but he didn't tell me what kind of worm it was.

And I started another course for Leo and Santa

Vermox 100 tablets (also from the human pharmacy)

I gave them half a pill twice a day starting from 24/5/2023 until 27/5/2023 and after 14 days the same thing was repeated half a pill twice from 10/6/2023 to 14/6/2023

Leo also improved. But Santa is still suffering. Things don't get better no matter what you do

A month later, the infection returned to all of them

So. I went to the vet and had his stool sample checked. He told me that there were no worms, but only bacillus bacteria, blood cells, and fungi in the stool. Prescribe metronidazole (1 ml per cat) once a day. For a period of 7 days starting from 3/7/2023 to 9/7/2023

Plus an accompanying vitamin course

Miki and Leo are healed this time as well, but Santa no 🥲

So, on 10/7/2023, I took him to a vet and had his stool sample checked, and he told me he had improved a lot. He prescribed an injection of anti-inflammatories and vitamin K and B

I took him back a week later for a review because he didn't get better and he gave me antibiotics spectinomycin for five days from11/7/2023 to 14/7/2023

Santa still has blood in his stool

Now, 3 days ago, Miki got sick again too

Miki and I went to the vet this time, and he told me his stool sample was healthy, no parasites, and he probably had a food allergy.

I was never convinced by his words because food allergies are never contagious

I'm sure they have a parasite in their gut but there is no good vet clinic I can go to😭

Please give some advice from those who have gone through a similar situation

And sorry for so many details and using google translator too😓🤭

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is typically something where I'd just recommend going to your vet again or another vet. It sounds like there could be a strong "contagious" component. But just in case... Have you ever tried probiotics for the one with the stool issues? Also, if you think it's contagious, can you keep him in another room with his own litter box until you can get his poop issues to resolve?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If might be something like Giardia, which I believe isn't always detected in a stool sample (but am by no means an expert on that subject). All I know about it is that it can be passed from cat to cat through their feces, so it's imperative that the box be scooped after every bowel movement, and sanitized often.

Here is more about it: Giardia And Giardiasis In Cats: Steps to Handle This Pesky Parasite - TheCatSite

Perhaps you can ask your Vet if they specifically tested for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is typically something where I'd just recommend going to your vet again or another vet. It sounds like there could be a strong "contagious" component. But just in case... Have you ever tried probiotics for the one with the stool issues? Also, if you think it's contagious, can you keep him in another room with his own litter box until you can get his poop issues to resolve?
I've been to two veterinary clinics, but the town where I live unfortunately only has one clinic that checks for a stool sample. As for isolation, I cannot, as there is only one room for them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If might be something like Giardia, which I believe isn't always detected in a stool sample (but am by no means an expert on that subject). All I know about it is that it can be passed from cat to cat through their feces, so it's imperative that the box be scooped after every bowel movement, and sanitized often.

Here is more about it: Giardia And Giardiasis In Cats: Steps to Handle This Pesky Parasite - TheCatSite

Perhaps you can ask your Vet if they specifically tested for it.
I clean the litter box two to three times a day. I change the sand every 3 weeks to a month, but how can I sterilize it? ?

vet in my town is not good enough . It prescribes medications to treat the disease In general, there is no specialization or sufficient knowledge

But based on what I read in the article, I really think it's Giardia, but why didn't he get better when I gave him Flagyl and metronidazole?
😓😓

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible they (or he) reinfected himself simply by cleaning himself.

Disinfecting the litter boxes can be done using just a little bit of bleach and water. You don't need to disinfect the sand (litter), just the box. But if it might be Giardia, you need to disinfect more often until it's gone. Probably once a week. Or get disposable litter boxes until it's cleared up.