Muccus plug but no other signs?

DJ just DJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so my cats been pregant for roughly two months now. Some background: Shes given birth to two litters before but the kittens were so tiny and I think they just weren't ready to be born, and she wouldnt feed them, so they all died. I think she gave birth too early to both of litters and I understand some cats reject their kittens for a combination of factors, the vet said sometimes when the kittens are too small or weak that the mama cat doesnt care for them since she writes them off as a lost cause.

This time since this is her third pregnancy I've been keeping a closer eye on her, I've been diligent with upping her nutrition in the hope that mama and the unborn kittens can grow well.

Problem is I'm not seeing any breast enlargement or milk production, I thought that meant she was still a ways away from due date. I've not seen any discharge or anything so far.

Until today. I'm noticing a dark mass, or at least some discharge kinda clotted up there. It's not protruding, it's just there. It's dark in colour and pretty standard with her. What I'm worried about is that shes gonna go into labour when she isnt ready and the kittens will be so small again, I dont know what to do. I dont have access to a vet I trust right now, I'm in a very remote part of the world, and the vet couldnt do much the first two litters or wasnt much help. I guess what I'm asking is...how long between you noticing something like that and the actual birth. Do I still have a week or so more? Shes not producing any milk and she seems lethargic like usual, and shes eating really really well, in fact theres been an uptick in her appetite, she isnt interested in going to the bathroom very often (she was before, with the first two litters, shes aggressively dig) and she hasn't started digging or hiding yet. I've prepared a nest. Shes not into it as of yet. So how long between you noticing some kind of plug and your cats giving birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJ just DJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also yeah, with her other two litters there wasnt any breast enlargement or milk production either, hence why I thought it was too early.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats do not get milk until after giving birth. The kittens suckle colostrum for a day or two before full milk comes in.

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Cat pregnancy runs closer to ten weeks or 63-68 days. She may have a week or ten days left.

Please consider keeping her 100% away from intact males after this pregnancy, and getting her spayed so the cycle of pregnancies - successful or not - will stop. She’ll be healthier and happier.

Keep us posted on her progress!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJ just DJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats do not get milk until after giving birth. The kittens suckle colostrum for a day or two before full milk comes in.

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Cat pregnancy runs closer to ten weeks or 63-68 days. She may have a week or ten days left.

Please consider keeping her 100% away from intact males after this pregnancy, and getting her spayed so the cycle of pregnancies - successful or not - will stop. She’ll be healthier and happier.

Keep us posted on her progress!
Thank you for this, I'll take a pic and send it asap