Mt. St. Helens from 97 miles away

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many of you followed the developments of the earthquake and eruptions of Mt. St. Helens last week. I thought you might be interested in seeing what the lady looked like this morning just before sunrise - from 97 miles away on the Washington coast. It looks like there is still a lot of "something" in the air above the mountain, whether it be moisture from the steam eruptions or particles from the ash.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The photo is beautiful! But I've seen some of the prettiest sunsets in Bakersfield, CA due to the air pollution there, and I hope that the ash particles in your area dissipate quickly. I had a friend who lived in WA during the last big eruption, & she said their cat got sick from licking the ash out of his fur. Also, their horses got the ash in their lungs & eyes -she told me the ash looked like snow but felt like fiberglass.What a horrible experience for the residents of the area!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

. . . I had a friend who lived in WA during the last big eruption, & she said their cat got sick from licking the ash out of his fur. Also, their horses got the ash in their lungs & eyes -she told me the ash looked like snow but felt like fiberglass.What a horrible experience for the residents of the area!
We lived in Vancouver, Washington during the 1980 eruptions, 43 miles from the epicenter. I remember only too well what it was like to shovel half an inch of ash off the driveway. Before we moved seven years later, it seemed we were still getting an incredible amount of dust in the house and on the landscaping, just from all that ash sitting and blowing around. I've considered moving back to that area, but the prospect of more ash is not a pleasant one, especially since I now have cats. (I didn't when we lived there before.) But then, I guess, everywhere has it's own disadvantages. After all, I'm now about 13 feet above sea level and this is the sign one street over from me.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's quite the sign. I've lived near the beach my whole life and never seen a sign like that, but I'm pretty sure I'm much further above sea level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, what is even more interesting is that geological formations show that a tsunami caused by offshore earthquakes has covered an area not far from here every 300 to 500 years. And it has been about 300 years since the last one. The town in which I live is on a long narrow spit between the ocean and Grays Harbor. There is only one road out of town, and we'd have to drive about 15 miles, as I recall, to get to a point high enough to be out of danger. How many of the 3500 residents do you think would make it out in time if there were an offshore earthquake? Ha! We would all be history!

brianlojeck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brian's Scary Fact Of The Day:

Volcanic "ash" is not ash at all, but is superfine granules of ROCK, created when fine "spray" from the volcano cools in the air.

It's highly abrasive, and thus amazingly dangerous to breath.

m_brane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twofatcats

Yes, what is even more interesting is that geological formations show that a tsunami caused by offshore earthquakes has covered an area not far from here every 300 to 500 years. And it has been about 300 years since the last one. The town in which I live is on a long narrow spit between the ocean and Grays Harbor. There is only one road out of town, and we'd have to drive about 15 miles, as I recall, to get to a point high enough to be out of danger. How many of the 3500 residents do you think would make it out in time if there were an offshore earthquake? Ha! We would all be history!
We used to live in Honolulu where there is monthly tsunami test siren blaring over the city....I have forgotten how it feels to live and be so intimately engaged with the immediate geography. 20 years living in geologically inert and topographically challenged Dallas really dulls one's sense of humility on living in nature.

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is an incredible photo. The ash has done such beautiful things to the colors!! Isn't nature incredible?
On the other hand, I hope that you stay safe if it decides to spew out a bigger eruption.