Mrs. Meyers Cleaning Spray

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone happen to know how safe Mrs. Meyers Lemon Verbena cleaning spray is? My cat tracked some grossness into the carpet and it's the only disinfectant I've got on hand. (It's 11 pm, I have Covid symptoms, and my car has a carbon monoxide leak; no stores for me). I just sprayed some all over my carpet, rubbed it in with a cloth, and then brushed a second cloth with a little warm water over it, but I'm wondering in happenstance whether this was a really idiotic move. I'm not sure what the percentage is of lemon essential oil per spray bottle of cleaner. I'll pick up a bottle of the basil-scented when I can, since basil is safer for cats to my knowledge.
Anyhow, I don't think she walked much through the sprayed carpet. I wiped her paws with a wet cloth just to be safe. I just thought I'd ask whether anyone else uses and recommends Mrs. Meyers.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I believe Mrs. Meyers products are supposed to be okay around cats, although the smell may be a lot for sensitive kitty noses. My go-to cleaner for residual yuck on the carpet (barf, poop) is a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water. I spray, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe, and then go over it again with water. You need to check a small, out-of-the-way spot to make sure it doesn’t discolor although I’ve never had a problem.

You do want to make sure the treated area has dried before your cats walks on it.

Hope you’re okay! :alright:

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
When it rains, it pours, doesn't it! Hope all is well with you now.

I've read that Mrs. Meyers is pet-safe. I would think that goes for all the scents, though, like the article says, they may not like the smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're right about that: it's pouring like heck for me right now. :lol: But I think I'm on the mend, and Muff seems fine too. She didn't like the smell at first, but I think she's gotten used to it. I spread a blanket on the floor since I can't keep her from walking there before it's thoroughly dried (We're in a motel room). She's usually quite tidy, so spritzing my carpet isn't a regular thing I do. Vinegar sounds like a good idea too, so I'll try to remember to pick some up when I'm back in commission. Thanks for the info, suggestions, and well wishes!