Mr McHenry and Zebadee

magic roundabou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two beautiful half Bengal 14 week old kittens - both boys, both as strong as an is ox, both hugely spirited, they can both jump incredibly high, and after a visit to the vet today he commented on how incredibly strong our ginger boy Zebadee is.  However both Mr McHenry and Zebadee as soon as I walk in the room start purring and want to both come and suckle on my neck at the same time (I think they are twins) they both have a position they like Zeb to the left and Mr Mc to the right.  I recently had a neck op so cant let them near my scar tissue.  Mr McHenry seems to want to suckle to go to sleep but Zebadee roots around and will suckle my neck, chin cheeks etc. when i push him away he crys and gets very upset.  When I remove Mr McHenry from my neck, he is gently suckling, he is half asleep with his tongue out and has no problem - what should i do please?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had a similar problem but with the two kittens wanting to suckle each other. Someone on the board recommended putting bitter apple on their tummies and it worked like a charm. So, I would put bitter apple on your neck and reapply it regularly (I would use the rub on kind so you don't get it in your hair and on your clothes). They won't like the taste and will gradually stop trying to do it. I would also always have some toys on hand that is okay for them to chew/suckle on so you can give them a substitute. 

Congrats they sound adorable- I love the names!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This tip is good. Next question is if you want to stop them suckle on you, or you just want them not to suckle on your neck, and especially not on the scar tissue.   Another tip may be to cover the scar tissue.

This suckling as such isnt dangerous or improper as long it istn overdone. But you must of course yourself feel comfortable with it.  Their mom would protest if uncomfortable, so you too have right to protest.  :)

Good luck!