Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I play alot of pool, and I just got a new cue and it was turning blue from the chalk I use on the tip...I was cleaning away on night with the magic eraser and
I used it on my cue, and it was instantly clean!

Question: What is " Bar Keepers Friend" and where can I find it?

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrissyKitty

Oh duh, and I have some Oxyclean too. I have used so many different carpet cleaners and the stuff is just ground so far down in there I haven't been able to get it out yet. I bet it works best if it is hot and it soaks for a while.

Thanks for the advice!
Hot water will set a stain, but Oxyclean dissolves best in hot water. So mix it in hot water, but leave it set until it's cool. Then pour it on the stain, and scrub with a stiff brush. Then blot up, rinse, blot again, and vacuum when dry!
This works for pee stains, puke stains, poop stains, even blood if you get it right away.

Amber

neonsohc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the only thing about the magic eraser i dislike and to worn some of you about. if you use them on walls they are not clening off the mark they are stripping the paint off of your walls. i know in mour apartment i used them and realized that they were stripping the paint off the walls and was getting down to the dry wall.

so i would just say keep a look out for that.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bar Keepers Friend is in a goldish container that looks like cleanser. If the grocery store doesn't have it a good well stocked hardware store should. I have a white Corian sink in the kitchen and get some nasty stains I sprinkle Bar Keepers Friend on its damp surface and leave it sit for a few minutes then scrub away.
I've also made a "paste" of baking soda and water for difficult stains too
I'll have to find those Magic Erasers to have on hand.
My lastest tip is my tub is in a area where it is hard to get at to clean so I've been using one of those long handled brushes for washing cars and trucks to scrub. It works really well I use it in the showers too. Saves some bending and reaching!!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrissyKitty

Oh duh, and I have some Oxyclean too. I have used so many different carpet cleaners and the stuff is just ground so far down in there I haven't been able to get it out yet. I bet it works best if it is hot and it soaks for a while.

Thanks for the advice!
WHAT ABOUT cat URINE????!!!!!!
Oxy clean won't work and none of the carpet cleaners work! I have a HUGE place in 2 different bedrooms not only stained but the smell!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for cat urin I use nature's miracle. Here's a hint though.. take a black light and light the areas.. use an ENZYMATIC CLEANER to clean away wherever your carpet glows.

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neonsohc

the only thing about the magic eraser i dislike and to worn some of you about. if you use them on walls they are not clening off the mark they are stripping the paint off of your walls. i know in mour apartment i used them and realized that they were stripping the paint off the walls and was getting down to the dry wall.

so i would just say keep a look out for that.
Yes. It depends on the kind of paint you have. I've used mine all over my last apartment and it never took paint off the walls (and I used it a lot. We had some marked up walls.) The key is to test it in an inconspicuous location like the back of a closet before using it on visible walls. I LOVE magic erasers and use them for everything, but I'm hesitant to use them on the walls in my new apartment because the pain seems to come off easily. Just be sure to test it first.

msrealdoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, my GAWD! I can't believe there is a whole thread about my new favorite thing, Magic Erasers. I just love them.

The first time I used them I was at my sister's house, and they worked so good it scared me a little. What nasty chemical was in these things to make them work so good? I didn't want to expose my cats (or myself) to something dangerous.

I did some research and found out there are no chemicals at all in them. None-no soap, detergents, bleach, nothing. They are just melamine foam that works sort of like sandpaper.

You can use them with confidence. They're safe for the environment and little kitties.

I can't believe my first post was about Magic Erasers.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the before and after pics of the Magic Eraser. It looks like a brick of foam. I've always wondered what it looks like. A lot of guys at the softball forum I go to use it to clean heavy ball marks off their bats. So, this thing disintigrates as you use it?

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

WHAT ABOUT cat URINE????!!!!!!
Oxy clean won't work and none of the carpet cleaners work! I have a HUGE place in 2 different bedrooms not only stained but the smell!
White vinegar. Pour it on, blot it up, and the smell should go away. It's supposed to take it away to the point that not even your cat can smell it anymore (which is what attracts them back to that spot again). Anything with ammonia in it will make it worse, since cat urine has ammonia in it.

Amber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I like the before and after pics of the Magic Eraser. It looks like a brick of foam. I've always wondered what it looks like. A lot of guys at the softball forum I go to use it to clean heavy ball marks off their bats. So, this thing disintigrates as you use it?
Yes, it disinigrates as you use it just like the eraser on a pencil.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by msrealdoll

I did some research and found out there are no chemicals at all in them. None-no soap, detergents, bleach, nothing. They are just melamine foam that works sort of like sandpaper.

You can use them with confidence. They're safe for the environment and little kitties.
I had no clue what was in these things. The label doesn't say either, except DO NOT use with bleach. I'm glad someone knew the answer.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought one when they first came on the market and tossed it under the kitchen sink (forgot I had it). My daughter discovered it (months later) and became very excited, telling me how wonderful that they are. After scrubbing my antique bathtub for hours with conventional cleaners, I remembered the Magic Eraser, and decided to see what the hype was. I was blown away. In less than 5 minutes, my bathtub was spotless and white!! I'm still stunned at how well these things work!!! I was also curious about the ingredients (tried to search it out on line). These are the best thing invented next to a toothbrush!!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep seeing the advertisement on TV for $1 off on the Magic Eraser. I forgot to write down the site for the $1 off coupon. However, when I went to the Mr. Clean website, I did find a coupon for the Magic Eraser Duo. It says free coupon, but I don't know if it means "free product" or you just get $1 off.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cyber Cat

Would that take out blue ink off my sofa?... a pen broke and a spot of ink leeked on to the sofa
I'm not sure about using it on fabric. I do know that OxiClean works great for getting pen ink out of clothing. I would think it does well on sofa fabric too.