MP3 Player

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

You also can't really make playlists or choose what you're going to listen to. All it does is "shuffle" through the music you have on it randomly. And no radio.
Thats a spendy little thing for not many options!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the Samsung YP-K5 the day it was released a few months ago. It's a little out of your price range at ~$150 for the 512mb version, but it's definately an iPod killer. It's about the same size as a nano, but twice as thick, it's completely sleek black when its off (looks like a shiny black brick). Buttons are touch sensitive, and the sweetest part is that it has a flip out speaker which actually sounds surprisingly good even if you jack the volume waaay up. I use mine mainly in my car because I still have a cassette deck.

Here's a link to a picture if you're interested in what it looks like: Linkie

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an ilo that Hubby bought me for my birthday this summer. It was about 70 dollars, has am/fm radio, a voice recorder (and you can record off the radio for whatever good that does you) and has 1G of memory, mine will hold about 600 songs. I love it. Now it looks as though they are a little cheaper (50.00) and they now have it in PINK!! Mine is orange! Anyway, I love mine!

Oh yeah, it runs on tripple A batteries and mine seem to last forever before they run down!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4127956

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I have an ilo that Hubby bought me for my birthday this summer. It was about 70 dollars, has am/fm radio, a voice recorder (and you can record off the radio for whatever good that does you) and has 1G of memory, mine will hold about 600 songs. I love it. Now it looks as though they are a little cheaper (50.00) and they now have it in PINK!! Mine is orange! Anyway, I love mine!

Oh yeah, it runs on tripple A batteries and mine seem to last forever before they run down!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4127956
Wow, thats really super cute!! I want to make sure I can find one that I can get an arm band for when I'm at the gym - do they make them for just about any kind to fit into??

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ilo came with an armband!!

That one dosen't show it, but any of the ilos that I have seen come with one.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Personally I'd spring for the iPod (aka my dream machine) but that's me! I haven't (knocking on wood) had any problems with either of mine and I absolutely love how seamlessly it goes with iTunes and the iTunes store. Plus, they're really attractive, and they play videos and pictures. That's pictures of my cats everywhere I go!

My friend had a Rio something or other that she loves, too.

ETA: My iPod has 5 ful-length movies, 3,200 pictures and about 3,388 tracks of various lengths and it's about a third to half full.
I've got to agree. Mainly because our computer is an iMac G5 and I already have my iTunes full of music and its important to me that its easily compatible and transferrable.

Plus my husband already has a 60 GB video iPod, and I'm kind of in love with it. Of course I don't need one that big. He keeps his director's reel on there as kind of a traveling resume (plus a TON of TV shows and music videos) but I don't need all that.

Apple Care is also a reason I would go with iPod. We have it with our computer and if a little thing goes wrong we take it to the Apple Store's Genius Bar down the street and say, "It's slow and making a funny noise. Fix it." And they do. Parts and labor are already paid for in that small Apple Care price. They fix it and you go home with it good as new. Done.

I also have a close friend who works for Apple and he would beat me if I went for a cheaper off brand.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought myself a Creative Zen Nano Plus (1gig) for myself and totally love it. only takes one AAA battery, has great battery life, and you have screen navigation (albeit a wee screen) for about $70 or so (I got mine on sale). Holda 1000 songs. My next player will be a zen with more room.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were to get an IPod or something similar, I'd want the one that plays video. Is it true that the only way to put a movie on your ipod, is thru the i tunes store? Can you put music or video on to the ipod directly from your computer? It seems like a rip off, if you have purchased a movie already and then have to pay for it again to watch it on the ipod.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

If I were to get an IPod or something similar, I'd want the one that plays video. Is it true that the only way to put a movie on your ipod, is thru the i tunes store? Can you put music or video on to the ipod directly from your computer? It seems like a rip off, if you have purchased a movie already and then have to pay for it again to watch it on the ipod.
Brian says that you can put any video on it as long as its an M4V file already or you've changed it into one, which is the type that you download from iTunes.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Nah, if you rip movies and TV onto your computer (I use a Mac and have a program called Handbrake that does it for me) and just save them in iTunes in the right format, they'll automatically sync with your iPod. That's another reason I love my iPod...it keeps all of your media files in one location, accessible by one program. When you plug the iPod in, it'll automatically sync and update (unless you tell it not to, in which case you can use iPod manually like an external drive). It just works so well together...it does a lot for you and you don't have to worry!

And emily, I totally agree with you on AppleCare. I took my PowerBook and my iPod there, because it had been taking a while for them to sync, so I just said "Hi, this is being really slow" and no questions asked, it was fixed in 10 minutes, no calls to India required.

I have a 60GB iPod that plays video, and I use it with a G4 Apple PowerBook. Pricey? Yes, but it was the best $2500 I have ever spent on technology. I've had this computer for almost 3 years and it's never had a virus, frozen, shut itself down, had spyware, etc.