Mozzie left us today

sonia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today as I was getting ready for work, at 11:15am, we had a knock on the door. My Dad went outside the house and a minute later he came back in and yelled my name. I charged downstairs and he was carrying in abox. Mozzie was in it. He was already dead, and was pretty messy.

I took the box and carried him into the garden. He'd been hit by a car in the morning at around 9:30am, and the person had put up " Do you own a grey cat ? " notices up all over the place. It was 11:15am when we got him back. Until that time, we were oblivious.

I cleaned Mozzie up, which was probably one of the worst things I've had to do in my life, but I wanted him to look ok, so my mum could remember him like he was, and we buried him tonight.

I rescued him only 15 short months ago, from the hands of some boys, who had him by the tail and were whacking him up against cars. I know it's silly, but when I rescued him he had blood and dirt all over his face in exactly the same places. I cleaned him up then, so he could die in peice, but when I came back later he was alive, wobbly, but wandering around the office. This time when I came back from work, I was praying that he'd be up and wandering around, even though I knew it wasn't to be.

We are all devastated. I've never in my life seen my Dad cry so much, he could barely stand up as we buried our dear cat, and my Mum is in total denial, my brother is always very flippant about this sort of thing. A few tears and that's it. And then there's me, I'm in total disbelief, swinging between vomitting from the visions of how bad he looked, and sobbing tears every time I think I'm under control.

We are now catless. I would love to get another cat or two, as soon as possible, but my family need months of recovery. It's not easy to wait with such an aching void. In the meantime, I just want to say thank you all so much for your help, support, and guidance with Mozzie and all his weird ways.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

This is a picture of my dear Mozzie, during happier times. Give all your kitties an extra snuggle tonight. Life is so short and so very precious.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sonia, how terribly sad. My heart goes out to you and your family. It was a beautiful, touching gesture for you to clean Mozzie, I'm sure that was very difficult. He may have only been in your life for a short period of time, but you surely gave him the happiest 15 months he could have known. He is at the Rainbow Bridge now, playing and happy. Try to remember the good times with your sweet Mozzie. ((((HUGS))))

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry for this!! I just went thru this yesterday when my kitty was run over right in front of my home. It is so hard to deal with.

I have you and Mozzie in my thoughts and prayers.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart, Sonia and ease your pain. You were so loving to her, even when she was gone. How lucky she was to have you! I wrote to you in Daniela's thread too. You were such a loving mommy (sister). God bless.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh this is just too much! So much sadness here these days. My heart reaches out to you, but I couldn't say any comforting words for the lump in my throat. You write so beautifully and movingly! As a memorial to Mozzie, maybe you should consider entering the Essay Contest with Mozzie's rescue story. If you win the snuggly, you'll have a reason to rescue another one! (Not that you need one.) Of course your family needs time to mourn. My heart reaches out to you all.

Mozzie looks so much like I expect Lazlo will in a year - just the little white muff under Lazlo's neck is different. I already think of Hissy's Shredder every day I see my cats. I don't know if this will be of any comfort, but Mozzie will not be forgotten by more than just your family. I won't be able to look at Lazlo without thinking of your Mozzie.

Sending hugs,

Laurie

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sonia, your post just brought me to tears!!!!! the love you had for Mozzie is so obvious in your words!!! And to have rescued him from such cruelness at the hands of those boys....you were Mozzie's saviour...his life was saved because of you. I am so sad for you to be going through so much pain. Just know that he loved you very much and would not want you to be so sad, even though it is hard not to. What you went through, having to clean him all up had to be one of the hardest things in the world to do. And when you said to give our kitties an extra snuggle because life is so short and so precious, I just wanted to run right to my Merlin, who out of all my beloved furbabies is my most cherished, and give him a huge hug and kiss because you are right...sometimes we just take for granted that they will always be there.
My heart goes out to you and your family....I know how devestated I would be if this had been my Merlin. You and Daniela and Deb Myers have all gone through alot of pain today, losing your beloved cats, and you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your support and very comforting words. My family and I sat together and through the tears I read them aloud. I can't tell you how much you all have helped us.

The house is so very empty now and it's only been the first night. The times we all told Mozzie to shut up, as he was a constantly meowing moggy, seem so far away, even though I rolled my eyes the night before last and thought " Ugh...another sleepless night ". Now I found I couldn't sleep because it was too quiet...well, that and the pain.

I talked to my mother a little while ago and voiced my feelings that this house, who has cats dwelling within, for so many, many years, doesn't feel complete without a cat, inspite of all our other fuzzies...which have all been thoroughly hugged and cried on, in the past 24 hours ! Mum said she knew what I meant and that we do NEED another cat...or two... or three !!!

We will give it another week or two, and then we will go to our local Bengal rescue shelter and have a look. We will probably end up with a Bengal again. Mum said that I will be allowed to get a tuxedo cat, that I long for, to heal the wwounds left by the passing of my previous black and white cat, Scuttles last year, and my mother would love a Ginger and white long-haired again after losing our elderly Ginger a few years back.

I know we will always think of Mozzie, and cry our hearts out, but we have big hearts with lots more room for sharing. I think Mozzie would understand that. Mum said that with any luck he'll be so jealous that he'll come back and haunt us, and we can yell at him to 'please Mozzie, be quiet' again. Funny, the things you miss so desperately, and take so much for granted.

Thank you again for your kind words, and thoughts. We are eternally grateful.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia & Family
xxx

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonia, I agree that a new kitten or two will help you in your sorrow. But if you get other kittens of the same type, I know you will expect them to have personalities of their own. I have almost always had at least one black cat, because I think they're beautiful. However, each was totally different in personality. Don't leave yourself open to more pain. Love each new kitten as itself. Eventually, a kitten will find you with which you will have a very special bond. But you will love the others too. I hope your pain will soon be eased. A little furry purrer with lots of needs will help considerably!

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonia- I am so sorry to hear about Mozzie.
You are such a wonderful person for taking him in and loving him when he was being abused by the boys. I'm sure Mozzie will always hold a special place in your heart and in your family.

elisabeth provo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Sonia,
losing a cat is truely heartbreaking. Ihave experienced that twice. one was helped along by the vet and zhe other die in a caraccident.Imust admitt, however, that I don´t believe in mourning periods. Iwas never allowed one and my family was right. You belive you can´t endure seeing another cat in your old cat´s places. Ive found it´s not true. WELL you don´t stop mourning but when there is another cat from a shelter or sth. that needs your help you get wonderfully distracted which does help.don´t try to persuade your family, simply take them to shelters and let a cat find youand them. So there wouldn´t be a void for long.All the best to you and your family. You ´ll be on my mind Elisabeth provos-killing(the last part of my familyname is due to Irish ancestors and doesn´t mean anything)

elisabeth provo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Sonia,
losing a cat is truely heartbreaking. Ihave experienced that twice. one was helped along by the vet and the other died in a car accident.Imust admitt, however, that I don´t believe in mourning periods. I was never allowed one and my family was right. You believe you can´t endure seeing another cat in your old cat´s places. Ive found it´s not true. WELL you don´t stop mourning but when there is another cat from a shelter or sth. that needs your help you get wonderfully distracted which does help.Don´t try to persuade your family, simply take them to shelters and let a cat find you and them. So there wouldn´t be a void for long.All the best to you and your family. You ´ll be on my mind Elisabeth provos-killing(the last part of my familyname is due to Irish ancestors and doesn´t mean anything)

the dreaded tum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of Mozzie's passing. It's obvious that he was loved very much and will be desperately missed by your family. Healing energies and symapthy to you all.

Sometimes we are asked to do difficult things when we accept a companion cat into our lives, like letting go under tragic circumstances. Although it's difficult now, there is one thing that can be said for certain: however short, Mozzie's life was transformed by his rescue by your family who had the courage to save him from a life of cruelty and desperate need. In turn, I'm sure that he enriched yours through his time with you and that he will always have a special place in your heart. In the end, touching and being touched is all that really counts in a cat's, or a human's, life regardless of its length.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sonia, I am going to go ahead and move this thread to the Crossing the Bridge forum where it will continue to get the attention it deserves.