Moving with cats

crazycatmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In about 2 weeks I will be moving into a new house thats a lot bigger then the one I live in now. I have 5  indoor/outdoor cats that will be coming with me and my current house is the only home they've ever known. Any advice on helping cats adjust to their new home? The new house is about 3 miles away will I be getting phone calls that my cats are visiting their old home?  Also its a rental. Any ideas on how to keep them from scratching everything? (i.e. door frames) They have plenty of toys and scratching posts.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
First you MUST keep them in for a couple of weeks until they are accustomed to the new house before letting them out. If you don't they will just try and get back to the old house and they might get lost and you might not see them ever again.

A neighbour of mine asked me this question about 2 years ago. She was only moving less than a mile away. I told her to keep the cat inside for at least 2 weeks. But she didn't want to she thought it was cruel bc the cat wanted to go out. So she let the cat out after about 3 days and it didn't make it back to old house in fact it has not been seen since. I can only hope it found a new home and wasn't run over or something.

You can buy anti cat scratch strips to put on door frames etc. cats don't like the feel of it under their feet.