Moving With A Old Cat

Mara-blackcattlc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

I am moving soon and a little concerned about moving my 19 year old cat Gypsy who is not in the best health. She has a cyst that has ruptured and is bleeding despite being treated by a vet. (she is too old for the surgery needed to correct the problem so we are treating the symptoms as recommend by my vet cone of shame and all)
I am worried the stress of the move with make her sicker than she already is. Any advice on how to make it as stress free as possible?

Thanks in Advance

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor Gypsy! Bless her furry little heart and soul and body and bones, as my Gram would have said. Yes, there are things that you can do to make this less stressful for her. The articles below will offer some good tips:

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (good for same cat/new home, too!)

A safe place, a room you can close off, will do a lot to keep her safe while you unpack, and will be a safe-haven for her until she adjusts.

One thing you can do if you have time is to take an old sheet you don't mind sacrificing and spreading it over something that she loves to lounge on. Let her get it good and fuzzy with shed hair. Just before moving, cut the sheet into as many squares as you have rooms in the new house. Fold it carefully, furry side in, place in a plastic bag, and take to the new home. Place a square in each room. That way, no matter what room she goes into, her scent will be there to welcome her and tell her, "Yes, this is mine."

Let us know how the move goes! And how her health is doing!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I am moving soon and a little concerned about moving my 19 year old cat Gypsy who is not in the best health. She has a cyst that has ruptured and is bleeding despite being treated by a vet. (she is too old for the surgery needed to correct the problem so we are treating the symptoms as recommend by my vet cone of shame and all)
I am worried the stress of the move with make her sicker than she already is. Any advice on how to make it as stress free as possible?

Thanks in Advance
Hi, how soon are you moving? How long have the two of you been together? So sorry she is so ill, I'm sending good wishes your way. :grouphug2: :grouphug: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Gypsy! Bless her furry little heart and soul and body and bones, as my Gram would have said. Yes, there are things that you can do to make this less stressful for her. The articles below will offer some good tips:

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (good for same cat/new home, too!)

A safe place, a room you can close off, will do a lot to keep her safe while you unpack, and will be a safe-haven for her until she adjusts.

One thing you can do if you have time is to take an old sheet you don't mind sacrificing and spreading it over something that she loves to lounge on. Let her get it good and fuzzy with shed hair. Just before moving, cut the sheet into as many squares as you have rooms in the new house. Fold it carefully, furry side in, place in a plastic bag, and take to the new home. Place a square in each room. That way, no matter what room she goes into, her scent will be there to welcome her and tell her, "Yes, this is mine."

Let us know how the move goes! And how her health is doing!
:hearthrob::redheartpump: What an excellent idea to make a kitty feel at home quicker.:catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 . I actually have a sheet over my daybed where Hek likes to lounge that I will use if I move in the future. Keeps the hair off of the bedspread, and gives me a ready-made scent soaker for future use!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mara-blackcattlc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we are meant to be moving in a little over a fortnight. Gypsy isnt doing so good so hoping we can still move her but may need to delay her move if I can. Good thing my current landlord is my grandfather so may be able to swing something so Gypsy can stay a bit longer till she is healthier

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Isn't that a blessing? Let us know how Gypsy is doing, and how the move goes.