Moving with a cat to EU

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am worried about something.I am planning to move from a high rabies risk country to Netherlands with a pet cat.For this, a rabies antibody titer test is required, prior to at least 90 days of moving. But in my country, there is no EU approved lab for this test, and also no service to send serum sample by courier to an approved lab abroad. In this situation, can I bring my pet to Netherlands, and can the quarantine period be completed in Netherlands, provided the rabies antibody test result was above the required level? Can anyone share their experience? Any help on the topic would be appreciated.

Here are the rules

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Holland_Netherlands.cfm

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have travelled with cats both inside and outside the EU, including bringing 5 cats with me to France from Bosnia, which at the time was considered a high risk rabies country. I was able to get my cats' blood tests verified and passports issued from a laboratory and vet in Austria, as there was no lab in Bosnia. If you cannot get the blood samples to an EU registered lab then I think you have a problem as the rules as stated are very rigidly applied. I was once refused travel on a ferry because my cat's vaccination certificates were 5 minutes out of time! Are there really no courier services where you are? As far as I know, there are no longer any official quarantine facilities where your cat could be kept. and you take the risk of having it destroyed. Is there a Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your country? If so I would ask them what to do, or the nearest embassy in the nearest country. All embassies are used to these questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I searched for it, but I did not find any courier service to send the serum from country. FedEx said they can send it if only it is on slide, but I realized that titer test requires more blood than that. Now the only option seems to be to fly to an approved lab personally with the serum. It will cost, but I don't see any other option. And I will talk to the embassy, see if they can help.

And by the way, which courier service did you use to send the blood to EU approved lab? Which country was the lab in?

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, the nearest lab was in Vienna, Austria, and the vet department at the University were able to find it for me and make the arrangements. I think we sent the samples by DHL, but it was a long time ago and I can't be sure.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does make it difficult. I would talk to the Embassy. They may help. Can you share where you live ? Not compulsory, but it may give us some ideas.

Last edited:

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, I meant to mention my country, but missed it before posting. I am from Bangladesh. it is high rabies risk country, and I personally asked both FedEx and DHL about blood sample sending, but they both refused. I also have no idea if anyone ever was able to send blood serum from Bangladesh by any courier service in past, and I have not found any courier service doing it after lots of searching. So if none can send it, only choice seems to be carrying it while flying, that would cost about 6-7 times of the courier cost(providing I go to a lab in Japan, which is the closest country with approved lab), but I really don't see any other way right now. If anyone can give any further information about any courier service, or anything, I would be highly grateful.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the contact information for the Dutch embassy in Dhaka

Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Dhaka

Address
Road 90, House 49
Gulshan II
Dhaka
Bangladesh

Phone
+880 2 984 27 15 - 18

+880 2 988 16 47 - 50

24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I was able to get my cats' blood tests verified and passports issued from a laboratory and vet in Austria
What actually is a pet passport? Is it like a human passport? Does the vet issues the pet passport? Can any vet do that, or is there any criteria? Sorry for the silly question, but it always helps to know beforehand.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
In the EU, a pet passport is an official record of the inoculations a pet has received and is issued by the vet (inside the EU) who administers the vaccinations. It looks like a human passport and has the pet's name, description, date of birth, sex, breed, microchip number and photo in it. It's required for dogs, cats and ferrets traveling to/from or within the European Union.

Last edited:

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"It's required for dogs, cats and ferrets traveling to/from or within the European Union."
Since it is issued by vets in EU, is it not required while a pet travels from a non EU country to a EU country for the first time?

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it first travels, if a passport cannot be issued in your country, then proof of all vaccinations, microchip number etc are required. Do you have a system of pet identification in Pakistan? A booklet or dossier with all the necessary information?

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about Pakistan, I am from Bangladesh.

I have vaccination certificates, where microchip number is mentioned. And before leaving the country, I can obtain veterinary certificate of all vaccination records, and statement that the pet is in proper health. And if I can have a titer test, I guess there will be that document too. That's all I would have. What else would I need? Sorry for this generic question, but all websites I came across, they stated these things are needed, I did not find anything else required.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You really should contact the closest Dutch consulate, because they may have official forms that have to be filled out by your vet or a particular veterinary office.

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about Pakistan, I am from Bangladesh.
I have vaccination certificates, where microchip number is mentioned. And before leaving the country, I can obtain veterinary certificate of all vaccination records, and statement that the pet is in proper health. And if I can have a titer test, I guess there will be that document too. That's all I would have. What else would I need? Sorry for this generic question, but all websites I came across, they stated these things are needed, I did not find anything else required.
Sorry. I meant to write Bangladesh, not Pakistan. all of these things would be put in a pet passport. I think you must contact the consulate. Maybe talk tot he airline you are going to use too. Normally airlines will not accept pets travelling unless they have the proper documents. but I think it all comes down to where you can get the titre tests done,

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I figured I would have to contact the consulate before moving.
 "but I think it all comes down to where you can get the titre tests done"
So the acceptance of airlines also depend on the titer test? I did not realize that :S

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I figured I would have to contact the consulate before moving.

So the acceptance of airlines also depend on the titer test? I did not realize that :S
Normally, throughout the world. if an airline transports a passenger (including a pet), without the right papers, then they are responsible for taking that pasenger back where they started, or maybe getting it destroyed. and they have to pay a fine too.

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i would recommend you contact a professional pet moing company.  Most airlines can recommend a suitable company. They should be able to assist you with arranging the required tests.

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normally, throughout the world. if an airline transports a passenger (including a pet), without the right papers, then they are responsible for taking that pasenger back where they started, or maybe getting it destroyed. and they have to pay a fine too.
Be careful because if you can't arrange for the pet to be transported it will often be put down.