Moving with 4 cats in a uhal

motherof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some time in the next year I might have to move from Colorado to Florida. I am trying to find out the best way to get me and my 4 cats down there.

This will be probably be a solo trip I.

So I will need the best way to take my stuff which will be probably very little as I might have to get rid of a lot, my cats, and myself down there. I have a very small car that has horrible gas mileage.

Thank you all for reading and leaving any advice.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot vouch for this article because I've never personally traveled long-distance with a cat. But I did happen to see this just a day or two ago...

Helpful Tips to Travel Long Distance With A Cat - Feliway UK

Just one interesting component (I thought) is including a harness, just in case it would be needed along the way. I could see that being a good idea.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest distance I travelled with a cat (single cat) was 620 miles.
She was in her carrier. I would stop every hour or so to let her out the carrier and move in the car, with all doors locked. I would stop in large gas stations on the motorway, but always away from other cars and away from places where people could gather.
At every stop I would encourage her to use the litter box, which she never used, and because she was so scared and would not eat or drink, I would give her some water with a large syringe, just to make sure she was hydrated.

The harness is a good idea. The cat should wear it during the trip, and you should connect the lead before letting them out the carrier, so that you already have control over them.

When I reached the destination (a hotel), I brought her in the room as the last thing. All baggages first, then her dishes and litter box, and the cat at the end, so that she wouldn't see me coming and going with stuff and things.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When we moved to another state, we had three cats and I was driving a Honda Civic Hatchback. Can't get much smaller than that, but the hatchback was a lifesaver. What we did was got a large dog crate and put all three cats in that, then put the dog crate in the back of the car. Hubby drove the Uhaul with our belongings, and I drove the car with the cats. We put shredded newspaper in the bottom of the dog crate for softness AND in case of any unforeseen accidents, but did not feed or water them while driving or even at pit stops. When we first started out they were a little unsettled, but soon they relaxed and the entire trip went pretty smooth. I listened to audio books the entire time, so they were not hearing loud music from the radio. We probably only drove 6 hours per day for their sake, and naturally stayed in pet friendly motels where we let them out of their cage once they were safely inside the room. As I recall, they didn't wander far from their "safe cage" even though they could, but we set up their food and litter box so they had everything they needed.

This article may have some info that may be helpful: Traveling With Cats: Your Ultimate Guide & 36 Game-Changing Tips - TheCatSite

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that I've seen enough talk about harness training on this forum, that I know it's a process and takes time.

I have never used a harness with a cat, but if I knew I was going to do this move, I'd start harness training now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the cats I have (buddy) he walks with a leash and harness. I try to take him on a walk at least once a month. Maybe I'll see if I can get the others to join.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the cats I have (buddy) he walks with a leash and harness. I try to take him on a walk at least once a month. Maybe I'll see if I can get the others to join.
That's good. I'm hoping others will chime in with links on the best approach for getting all your cats harness trained. (Because I have no idea.)

I mentioned it again because I was just thinking that if I knew I was moving with multiple cats, I'd want to use harnesses with all of them just in case.

One thing I've learned since joining this forum is that accidentally losing a cat outside is a horrible experience. And that it can happen to a cat who you would never expect would want to run away... a cat can simply get scared and run, then get lost.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be careful with harnesses in this instance. Say you're at a rest stop and there's loud traffic and then a semi honks or even just starts up. Spooked cats can contort themselves and sometimes get out of a harness. In an unfamiliar place and with traffic around - too big a risk IMO. I drove nearly 800 miles with a cat and the overnight hotel was fine for her to stretch and such. And like was said earlier - luggage in the room first then cat last. Keep the door shut.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be careful with harnesses in this instance. Say you're at a rest stop and there's loud traffic and then a semi honks or even just starts up. Spooked cats can contort themselves and sometimes get out of a harness.
I've never once had experience with a cat in a harness, but I've read a lot about it. It's something I considered at one point (I don't live in an area where it would be safe, currently).

One thing I've seen multiple cat people repeat is that a cat can wriggle out of anything if scared enough.

Even though I don't use harnesses, I have taken away from this thread and many others that a harness should be used as a backup in these situations, with normal safeguards in place as well (i.e., all the advice about keeping doors closed until the right time, always being super-careful about watching openings, etc.).

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, my mom's friend lost their cat on a trip across town - to the vet. I don't know anything about moving with them, but I wish you the best.
I'm sorry that happened. But I think we can take from that the point that you should always try to think of every single precaution, and assume it is going to fail.

When I had to bring my cat to the vet for the very first time (he was a stray brought inside), he refused to go inside a carrier, so we used a cardboard box.

I taped the box closed with duct tape just because of an intuition of "what if this opens?" (I knew nothing about cats, it was just a feeling).

I would trust any such intuitions you might have.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered renting an RV with a car trailer on the back? You could put your things in the RV and the cats and tow your car - they have one way rentals, as you said it probably won't be a lot of personal belongings. it's a little more breathing room for all. Or if towing the car might be a little iffy they do have car delivery services that you might consider.

Last edited:

Feste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No matter which route you decide (car or Uhaul), I would makes sure to get each cat familiar with car rides in their carrier. Take one or two with you while running errands every week. Spoil them with treats afterwards so that they associate car rides with positive associations. If they only associate car and carrier with the vet, they will be very stressed when you move.

A few months before you move, keep their carriers out. That way, they associate them with a cozy space to nap or a safe space to hide. And put things (an old t shirt, towel, etc. that smells like you) in them and their favorite toy.

I have moved states with mine (they have lived with me in four states now), but until our last move, we never had to stay over night anywhere. They are harness trained and go for car rides to go hiking or just for the fun. When we move, they wear their collars with tags and harnesses. I try to only stop for gas. I wouldn’t let the cats out until you get to a hotel room or an AirBNB. They won’t feel comfortable peeing/pooping on the road, or at least, in my experience, my cats don’t, even my one cat who is perfectly happy doing her business on the side of a hiking trail. And for the most part, they will spend the 8-10 hours sleeping. I do try to feed mine early moving day, so they won’t get hangry, but I make sure they have enough time to use the litter box. At the AirBnB, they spent supervised time out to eat and play and then slept in their carriers. You won’t want to unpack the entire car, but bring in a few of their favorite toys and blanket/bed. Bring their normal food with you, if you can, and catnip and treats. Mine eat raw/premade, so I had to switch them to freeze dried a few weeks before our last move.

Honestly, you will probably be more stressed about it than they are. And once you have moved, they will have the experience and be better prepared if you have to move states again or have to evacuate in an emergency.