Moving: What To Do About Stray(?) Feral (?) Cat

GatsbyMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just joined to ask this question! I currently have 1 6yo male cat who is in good health and a small dog who get along fine. Since I moved into my apartment about a year ago, there is a cat who lives on my porch. She(?) leaves for part of the day but is ALWAYS there at night/in the morning, and often is there though out the afternoon. I have never fed this cat (she doesn't seem to need it not super skinny or anything), she just seems to hang out so that she and my cat can see each other through the door. They rub up against it together, meow at each other, etc. My cat has never shown aggression toward this cat or visa versa.

I'm assuming she may be part of a TNR program because her ear is clipped (also why I assume it is a girl). But this cat is not at all interested in me. She will be right up against the door until I come close then she runs to the other side of the patio, or jumps the wall. Would it be too stressful for the cat to catch it, bring to a vet and move to a new location? Should I just leave well enough alone? Our complex doesn't allow outside cats and she is around so much that I'm reasonably sure she doesn't belong to anyone else. I guess I'm asking: what would you do? If it makes a difference I won't be moving until 2-4 months from now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And thank you for being concerned about this cat. The clipped ear definitely suggests TNR, however, males are neutered as well, so "she" could also be a "he". ;) Since she's ear-clipped, and well fed, there must be someone feeding her, and possibly others.

I don't personally have experience with ferals, so hopefully other members will reply with comments and suggestions.

Meanwhile, I'll post the links to some TCS articles on ferals:

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Handling Feral Cats
Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned, she doesn't have interest in you or come to you for food, and so I think I would leave her be. There are others who are feeding her.
If however that changes, --she starts to look thin and unkempt etc then yes, you would want to step in more directly.