Moving twice within a few months-bad idea?

bamboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have an older outdoor cat who gets along great with our family's old dog. A few months ago, another large dog (pit bull) was brought into the house and things have not been going good. He harasses her constantly (chases, jumps on her), is not disciplined at all, and my cat is trapped upstairs pretty much all day while the dog runs the house. She's terrified of him. He's horrible to our dog also. My parents, who live about 10 hours away, have had enough. They got permission to have pets at their new place, and are coming to get their dog go to live with them, and i am temporarily going to go stay with them for around 2-3 months. My big problem is my cat. I don't want to leave her here, because i know she'll be locked upstairs all the time, won't have anyone to defend her against the dog, and will be totally unhappy and maybe run away.

My question is, if i was to bring her to live in the new place for a few months, then bring her back home here with me, would that be too stressful for her? She loves to be outside and is outdoors almost constantly in the warmer weather and we have a nice yard/neighborhood here which she loves. Hates snow and in the winter she doesnt go out much, so she'd probably be inside mostly at the new place at first and she uses the litter box. My parents would probably keep her there if i wanted, but she's my baby and i'd miss her. She occasionally pees in the basement also, even more since the other dog. Someone mentioned the vet can sedate her for the long drives also. Any advice would be appreciated and i'm so torn up over this. I even considered asking a friend to keep her till i come back, as i said i'm not moving just an long visit. Thanks in advance!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take the cat with you. Do not leave it in that house with that dog that is harassing her and chasing her. With you not there to offer her love and comfort, she certainly will be worse off there without you. And, no it won't be too stressful for her if she has you and you keep her loved and safe.

When you get to your parents, keep your cat in your room for a few weeks till she adjust to the new digs. I wouldn't let her outside at your parents as she won't know where she is and might try to find the "other" home and get lost. She will be fine as an indoor cat, since she will be in a new place and will have to adjust to the new environment without access to the outdoors, she won't know any different at the new place. Am I making sense????

Your poor cat is being frightened by this dog, and rightfully so. She could be seriously injured by such a big dog. Good luck!!! Hope this all works out for you.