Moving to australia need a new home for lola (seattle)

anemone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to find a home for lola. If anyone knows of someone who doesnt have a cat already and who would want to adopt her send them my way. Some info about her:
Lola is about 10 years old and has been my loving companion for 7 years. She is a very attention loving cat who loves to spend time with her owner and receive lots of pets and head scratches. When she warms up to you she is very much a lap cat. She can be very vocal when she wants attention or food!! She doesnt get along with other cats and is a little nervous around dogs but will adjust. She is tolerant of children and loves the attention she gives as long as its friendly. Lola prefers to be indoors although if the door is open long enough she might venture out a little bit. She prefers using a litterbox rather then using the outdoors. She is unpicky about food and loves catnip. She loves to play with lazer pointers and feather wands. She is still very much a kitten at heart and has been healthy the whole time ive known her.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can l ask why you can't take her with you?. My neighbours emigrated to Australia in January. They paid £3,000 to fly their dog over,  but he was part of the family so they didn't have to think twice about it

7 years is a long time to be with your cat, and it's no different to a child IMO

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
There are different requirements for the USA.  They are in a different category, with regard to rabies etc, and I think quarantine is longer than the UK.

Sometimes we need to weigh up the stress factor on the cat, if they need quarantine at both ends.

Here's the link:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anemone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Mani your absolutely right.  The requirements Ive researched said that the minimum quarantine is 30days which wont be possible for me because of the short notice of the move.  The quarantine time for lola would be 2 or 3 months.  I have to weigh my personal attachment to lola with the amount of stress she would go through.  She gets so scared even when going to the vet that she howls the whole way there and back and pee's and vomits in her crate.  I cant even imagine what she would go through on a trip like that nor can I imagine what quarantine for that long would be like for a pet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's terribly difficult to find a home for a 10-year-old cat. What will you do if nobody takes her? I think quarantine would be less stressful than dropping her at a shelter to die with strangers.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's terribly difficult to find a home for a 10-year-old cat. What will you do if nobody takes her? I think quarantine would be less stressful than dropping her at a shelter to die with strangers.
anemone hasn't said anything about shelters.  There may be a perfect home for Lola.  There may not be.  But I think she has the right to look for one.

Months in quarantine is no picnic for a cat.

I know this is going to be wildly unpopular on this site, where one doesn't give up one's cat in any situation, but anemone does have a right to see if she can find a good alternative.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, it doesn't hurt to look. I'm just wondering what the plans are if no suitable home can be found. If someone absolutely won't take their cat with them, absolutely can't find a home for the cat, then what's the alternative?

I can't find homes for healthy, friendly KITTENS. The chances of finding a home for a cat that age are astronomical. There needs to be a plan in place.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, she is just too cute. I love her face. Are you certain she doesn't get along with other cats? That will make her harder to place, of course. AND most times, owners think their "only" cat doesn't like other cats but if introductions are done properly, you might be surprised. There really are only a very, very few cats that truly cannot live with another cat, and that is a rarity. I hope you can find her a loving home for her. This must be very, very hard on you. :hugs: Friends and family?? I hope someone will step up and take her. She is really sweet looking. I have to say, it could be possible for her to survive the quarantine..... it would be better than the alternative if it comes to that - a shelter..... I agree with Willowy in that you need a plan b and plan c... as I am sure you already know this anyways. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just sending along more vibes to you this morning. :hugs: I am certain this is a very upsetting emotional time for you, the move to another country and the concern for your Lola. I wish you the best of luck in finding a resolution. :hugs: :vibes: :hugs: :vibes: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Purrfect Pals, a no-kill (and I mean they keep them, not send them to a kill-shelter if they are not adopted) sanctuary in Arlington, about 40 miles north of Seattle? I volunteer there and they find homes for older cats all the time.  They have a waiting list.  When are you leaving?

Edited to add that they have a few adoption locations where cats who don't get on with other cats can have a space to themselves.

Last edited: