Moving to a New Place

puffycow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So at the end of April, my fiancee and my 7 month old kitty will be moving into a new place. We are currently in a one-story, 900sqft apartment. The house has two floors, a finished basement, and is 1600sqft. Are there any suggestions I can get for making my kitty comfortable in the new place? Is there anything I should prepare for?

I will take any advice you can give!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you're moving in, confine her in one room or in a large dog crate so that there's not a chance of her escaping while boxes are brought in. When I moved, I put my cat in a big 4'x4' dog crate with a litter box and water until we had the door closed for the night.

Definitely increase the number of litter boxes you have since you'll have so much more space. I wouldn't let your kitty have free reign of the house immediately. Do like you would if you had just brought him/her home; allow access to one room until kitty is comfortable with all the new sounds, then gradually expand access over the span of a week or so.

When we moved, my cat cried the first couple of nights because she was in an unfamiliar place, even though she was in a room with us and only had access to a limited space. It was kinda funny, but exhausting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puffycow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! I wasn't even thinking of two litter boxes.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything to add to Stephanie's good advice (adding another litter box was the first thing I thought of, and I see she covered that!).

Cats are definitely all about territory, but some take moving better than others. The last time I moved, one of my cats, like Stephanie's, cried in the night for a couple of days. His brother seemed a little concerned and confused at first, but quickly got over it. The third cat didn't seem to mind at all, though!

Sending vibes that your move goes smoothly.

puffycow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, maybe I'll work from home for a few days to make sure that she is comfortable.

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All I can say is: don't expect her to be completely herself for several days at least! Let her hide and get used to everything.
When my family moved, our two cats spent the first week hiding/sleeping under a bed in a drawer of blankets. They were fine with their normal litterboxes and even ate a bit. After the first week, they came out and sniffed about, and soon settled down nicely.
Good luck with everything!

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We moved to a brand new house our cat had never seen before just a month after she moved in with us. She had no problems getting used to anything here, she even seemed happier right away.

We didn't do anything special, other than making sure she knew where her litterboxes are. And she moved in last, with all of her own stuff, when all our furniture pieces and other bigger items were completely unpacked and organized.

Good luck!

(MissM, where's the word Mis coming from? Just curious, since I speak a langauge that uses it.
)

puffycow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think we are going to move her in last. Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My only concern with moving her in last is that she might think she's being abandoned since all of "her" belongings and people will be gradually taken away from her. Just something to consider.

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and make sure you get your cat used to the carrying case well before your move (if she isn't already)! Put a nice blanket inside, maybe a few treats, and let her settle down in it. That way, when you do move her last, she can stay in her case and be comfortable until it is her turn

(Kittica, I am Czech, so that is where my nickname comes from - where are you from?)

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(I'm originally from Croatia, but have been in the US for the past year and a half or so. I kind of expected to hear Czech because of Mourek. I don't really know what it means, if anything, but it just sounded 150% Czech!
)

puffycow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow, so many things to consider. I know my fiancee should be at the new house while me and my friends are packing up our apartment. Maybe I'll have her take kitty and see how she does.

On a side note, my kitty does love her carrying case. If I have it out and the door is opening she will hang out in it.