Moving soon

kcampbell90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm moving into a house in August with 4 other people a cat that hates other cats and a bunny. Any suggestions for making this easier for my kitten? My friend has 2 cats and offered a play date to see how she would do, will this help her prepare for the move?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
No, playdates are not something you do with cats.  If you want this to work, introducing cats to cats is a long and careful process.  Have a read through this article:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

It may seem complex, but honestly, it is well worth the effort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcampbell90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :)
I think the problem might be my new roommate might not be willing to do her part. She's told me up front her cat doesn't like other ones, and I don't want to re home my kitten

chloenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The way I've always been successful is to keep the cats separated for awhile. Keep your cat in one room such you will be the one moving and a move is stressful for cats. Give something of your cat's to the other cats like a toy, blanket or bed so they can get use to her smell and get something from the other cats and give to your cat. Even get a wash cloth and rub it all over your cat several times and give them and vice versa. After a few days, put up a baby gate so the cats see and smell each other but don't let them be together unsupervised. Do this in short intervals.mwhen you take the gate away after awhile just watch them. This has always worked for me. People that just throw cats together and expect them to get along will be disappointed. Good luck.