Moving pooper..

isaacgreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here but needed a forum to ask a question. I've browsed around the other threads regarding litterboxes but can't find my problem.
This past Saturday night a kitten found us (crying out side the garage door).
We set him up in the garage with food, water and litter box. He was using the box OK. Tuesday we went to the vet and he was treated for worms and checked out ok. The problem is that he starts to poop in the box and then finishes outside it. There are 2 boxes, clean) Today I moved him into the sunroom (tile floor and one throw rug) and he did it again, part in and part out. His stool is the consistency of putty and kind of putty colored but vet tested it out OK.
Oh yes, the vet said he is about 14 weeks. So far he pees OK in the box.
Has anyone had this problem before and do you think he might outgrow it?
Even tho the boxes in the house are in the laundry room on tile I don't want him in the house until he is doing right. I have 4 other indoor cats and they are now looking at each other thru the French doors. If this continues I might have to make him an outdoor only cat or maybe outdoor/indoor which I do not want to do. I live in the country but the road is dangerous and my dog gets along with the cats in the house but I don't know about the fenced yard...I think he might chase...besides the kitten is too young to be out all alone at present.
Well, I know that you all probably fell asleep or quit reading awhile back but if you are still here and have a comment on my 'moving pooper' let me know.
Thanks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hum.... What type of litter are you using? Sounds to me he just doesn't like the litter enough to stay as long as he needs - if the litter is too course on his paws and hurts him, he moves on and leave the boxes... That's why he pees in it, because it is faster... That would be my theory... Kitten's paws are pretty sensitive and they like fine litter.

There is a litter called Kitten Attract Litter that is very very fine, that you can try... Or or just another finer clumping litter would be my advice.

Kitten attract would solve your problem. and there is a rebate for the first bag free... http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_...ll_8-17-06.pdf
I don't know of any other very fine clumping litter that is not really dusty besides this one... there is Worlds' Best Cat Litter, that is made of corn, that you can try, but I am not sure of the success with kittens... It IS very soft, that I know for a fact...
Think soft on the paw, and IMO you are going to be ok.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats that walk and poop (both indoor and in/outdoor cats) - usually this only happens when there's something not right about the stool. Either too soft or too firm - it doesn't feel right to the cat so they try to move. It could just be that you've recently took this kitten in and it's just been dewormed and the stools have to firm up a bit - or it could be the food. Some bene-bac or eagle pack holistic solutions probiotics could help get things on track a bit.

Are you using a decent size litter box?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a litter box with taller sides, or a covered box, so he can't poop on the move because he's boxed in.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did it happen before he was wormed, not sure if I'm getting that from what was written.

Jack struggled as a kitten after being wormed too because the worming is rough on their little systems. I'd give it a few days and see if the putty poop takes care of itself.

Jack's issue only last 3-4 days maybe and he does fine now.

Leslie