Moving Pooper Update

isaacgreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. I watched the kitten poop twice after your replies and noticed that the first time he squeeked a bit like it hurt to go, but remained in the box. The second time he was trying to 'perch' on the edge of the 6 inch tall litter box, butt toward the litter but of course as he was going he fell forward out of the box followed by whatever was still coming out. Today I went to PetsMart and got the Precious Cat kitten attract litter as someone suggested.(Was not carried at Petco which is closer to me but I don't like Petco anyway) It doesn't look much finer than my usual litter (Sam's Club) but the herbs additive might help because when I put it in one of the boxes he went poop in it right away.
Then just now he perched again but was successful since he was standing on the edges where the 2 boxes were together. Squeeked a bit again. Now instead of grey putty we have loose orange stuff. Oh well, I think we are headed in the right direction. Once we get there next comes the introduction to the 'pack'......When you haven't had a kitten for awhile and then you get another, You begin to remember all of the 'interesting' things that must be dealt with!!!
Great...he just discovered that there are things above the floor, like my computer desk! Thanks again and perhaps you will hear from me again.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed the original thread, but perhaps a litter box with taller sides would help as well? And sounds like maybe he's having some food transition issues? Not sure what the reference to "grey putty" vs "loose orange stuff" is.... but hope all's OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaacgreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...My original post was on 11/19...'Moving Pooper'. Grey putty vs loose orange refers to the stool. I've never seen a litter box bigger than the ones I use...Petsmarts largest...sides 6 inches high...oops, just measured at 6.5 inches! Anyway we seem to be doing much better...he's only been here 6.5 days now...wormed on Tuesday and new food...and antibiotics so intestinal craziness is most likely a given. As long as he is trying to get it in the box! Thanks.....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats will meow before/after using the litter box, but if he keeps up the squeaking while pooping give your vet a call. That could be his way of telling you he doesn't feel well.

Some of us who get tired of smaller conventional litter boxes use various sizes of storage containers as litter boxes.They're usually cheaper and offer just about any size you could want.

I hope the stool issues sort itself out soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaacgreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
'Some of us who get tired of smaller conventional litter boxes use various sizes of storage containers as litter boxes.They're usually cheaper and offer just about any size you could want.'

Sometimes I wish I still had a brain...Years and years ago I did use other containers before they started making bigger litter pans! Thanks for reminding me!

P.S. I don't know how to do the quote thing properly so I improvised!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Hit the quote button and take out any text from within the former post you don't want to quote. There's the edit button right next to it to take care of any mistakes - and the preview to let you check before posting.

And yeah, we all forget stuff that later we go DOH! duh
I do it at least 2-3 times a day.
Another tip, check a local dollar store for containers. Dollar General sells Sterilite brand ones that usually have smooth bottoms that won't trap any litter.

luci_sushi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try "Petmate Giant Litter Pan." It's huge, it has 10 inch sides.

It's $28.87 on amazon with free shipping

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!!!

Sterilite containers IMO make the best litter boxes!

I get mine at Big Lots, for $5-6... and they are BIG!!! You can get them either with tall sides, or with lower sides, the ones for under the bed storage - these are great for kittens!

I have seen the petmate, and yes, I think FINALLY there is a decent sized litterbox on the market, butT I could buy a sterilite container for much much less. almost 5X less... I do like that the Petmate has the place for the scooper and the bags - it looks good!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

...I get mine at Big Lots, for $5-6... and they are BIG!!! You can get them either with tall sides, or with lower sides, the ones for under the bed storage - these are great for kittens!
I get mine from Home Depot and yep, they're cheap, cheap, cheap! You can find them in many colors, styles and sizes - the last one I bought is a full 120 quarts (it's darn near pool-sized
). The cats love it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Hi there!!!

Sterilite containers IMO make the best litter boxes!

I get mine at Big Lots, for $5-6... and they are BIG!!! You can get them either with tall sides, or with lower sides, the ones for under the bed storage - these are great for kittens!

I have seen the petmate, and yes, I think FINALLY there is a decent sized litterbox on the market, butT I could buy a sterilite container for much much less. almost 5X less... I do like that the Petmate has the place for the scooper and the bags - it looks good!
I use those too .. walmart lowered the price on the colored ones so now I have boy ones and girl ones ( no they do not care
)