Moving - need help!

kiara1125

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am moving 10 hours away from Central Florida to North Carolina. I will be moving around December/January. I have my service dog and two cats to bring. My fiance and I are trying to get everything set up for the cats. I'm trying to figure out how to bring them because I don't want them to be uncomfortable.

First off, I have a medium sized dog crate that has a divider. Should I divide the cats or keep them together? They get along, but I'm worried they will get stressed and fight. I have an extra carrier, but it's a carrier for flying purposes, so it's small. If I do divide the cats into the big crate, then there won't be enough room for a litter box at all. Even if they aren't divided then there's still not much room. I'm unsure of what to do.

Here is the crate with Stormy and Oreo into it. We are not taking Oreo, we are taking Shadow instead. Shadow is 9 years old and Stormy is 1 year old. Oreo is 11 years old with several health problems, so she is staying behind with my fiance's parents. Stormy is already UTD on rabies, we will be taking Shadow to the vet soon (but well before we leave so she is not sick and stressed). With NC, you have to have rabies vaccination certificates on all your animals else they will be quarantined for a total of three weeks. We are going to be completely prepared - I'm just nervous about the actual trip and how to take care of water and litter situations. I'm not worried about feeding them until we get into our new apartment and let them settle. I don't want them to get sick in the car. Unfortunately, we don't have the time to take "joy rides" with the cats to get them accustomed to the car. We just want this over and done with as ast as possible so it will be the least amount of stress on them. Shadow hates car rides, but Stormy sleeps through them.

See? Stormy loves the crate. He even sleeps in it with my service dog. lol This is Shadow, the cat we will be taking with as well.

To sum it up:

- The cats will be vet checked

- We cannot take the cats for joy rides

- I want to keep the cats separated

- I'm unsure of what to do for bowel movements other than laying down puppy pads (there's no room for a litter box)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To minimize travel time, set out in the very early wee hours on a Sunday morning that is not during a Holiday weekend.  Have in your car food, water, and their customary dishes for the animals, and a customary/familiar litter tray that you can place on the vehicle floor space for transit.  Have within reach your own (human) food and drink, and do not stop unless necessary for refueling and potty stops. 

When you make your necessary stops, offer your animals water and pottying opportunity.  If your cats cannot wear restraints (harness and leash), you must keep your vehicle closed up whenever their travel crates are to be opened during the trip.

I suggest moving Stormy in the smaller of your travel crates.  You can drape Shadow's crate -- or both cat's crates -- with a bed-sheet.