Moving, need advice quickly (well couple days) I have 3 cats to move 1300 miles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you not have air conditioning in the truck? All the trucks/vans I have hired to move cats (and we used to move 20 at a time, rescued cats from Bosnia to Germany) had A/C.

I would never take them outside the truck on the journey. There are far too many variants and things you can't control. It is good that you have a largish area for them. I am not sure why you are putting them in very small carriers - For air and comfort I would put them in the biggest containers you can - they will be far happier for longer.

Do a dry run if you can. I did that several times, a bit longer each time, until the last one was over an hour. It gave me a very good idea of which cats were likely to cry, if any were going to be sick and how safe they were.

In many countries it is illegal to have unsecured animals in a vehicle. Have you checked with all the places you are going through?
Not sure I follow? A/C in the BACK of the truck? heck no. you'd have to rent a commercial truck for that and it would be many thousands of dollars more. a refer is most times put on trailers, but they do put them  on straight trucks, just not a normal thing on rentals. 

In the cab of course we have a/c there or i'd die myself :). i have to have room somewhere to get them out to pee, or to clean their carrier when they go to the bathroom, and to eat/drink.

All 3 cats will be in the cab with us. i ordered two narrow carriers for the little cats and I have a large for wilbur. so room should be ok. I'm going to see what type of tranquilizers i can get. i'm hoping i don't have to pill them all. wilbur is no sweat. the other two? not so much

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, sorry, I understand. The truck I used to take were like large open vans, and we were able to stack up the cages along the side. I rented something similar when I moved from Bosnia to France with my 5 cats, but had all my furniture as well as the two cages. Good luck, it is a daunting thing to plan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, here's my problem. At first I thought this was a great idea, having 6 weeks to plan. but now? 4.5 weeks out? i wish i'd only planned 2 weeks. it's so stressful for me even though I'm getting a lot of packing done, i just keep dreading moving the cats more and more. i think i'd have been better had i not had so much time to worry.

I spoil my cats rotten. so I'm quite sure i worry more than i should. they're cats. not infant children

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I spoil my cats rotten. so I'm quite sure i worry more than i should. they're cats. not infant children
HAHA I think of mine the same way.  Maybe not infants, but toddlers.  Mine are like two very hairy toddlers, always into or up to something.  I think that fuels my attitude towards them.