Moving My Cats In Together

xenawolfx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, Catarina and Nala, both Siamese.
Catarina is about 3 yrs old, spayed snd declawed. She stays at my parents house and has been there since I got her. She's never been around any other animals but can see my dad's cat outside when she looks out windows.
Nala is less than a year and not spayed or declawed. She lives with me and my fiance at the home I moved in with him in and I was only allowed the one cat. She's been around dogs and theyve all been her friend. She's been introduced to one cat before and didnt like her in her territory and hissed a lot.
Recently we got a place of our own that we're renovating and once its done and we move in I want to have both my cats there, however Nala doesnt care for Cat at all. Ive introduced them to each other a couple times by bringing her to my parents house but Nala just hisses and growls (even as soon as she enters the house, assumingly because Cat's smell is everywhere) and stays in the same spot the entire visit. Theyve also had a stare down as Nala hisses and Cat just looks at her with no reaction.
How do I get Nala and Cat to get along once its time to move?

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, Nala MUST be spayed before you attempt this, and for a couple of reasons. Her hormones are going to drive her actions, and they are telling her that she MUST protect her territory from other cats, especially females, so that any kittens will be safe. Second, her hormones are going to trigger high stress levels in Catarina, who can smell them from a mile off.

Once Nala has been spayed, these articles will help you accomplish a peaceful integration of the two cats. DO NOT rush this, let them take as long as they need to take, and it can be MONTHS. And may well be. Catarina is very aware that she no longer has her claws, and will be hyper-defensive about this process.

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I'm also adding a couple of others to help you deal with Catarina's additional stress.

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Remember that time and patience are the keys to this whole thing! Let us know how things progress!