Moving My Cat Away From Other Cats.

armendoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I was hoping that I could get some advice on what to do in this situation to minimize the amount of stress this may have on my cat. So here's the situation:

I'm currently living at home with my family and four cats (I know it's a lot). One of these cats is strictly mine in the sense that we have all agreed that whenever I move, the cat is coming with me. At home right now, she is fairly content but I can tell that there are ways that she can be happier once we move out (easily monitor diet, exercise, stimulation, etc.). As far as the other cats are concerned, she will occasionally play with them but she's always had a small threshold on how much interaction she wants with other cats. I believe the reasoning for this is the limited interaction she had with her litter since she was abandoned by her mother.

While these cats occasionally stress her out and annoy her, there are times when she actually bonds with them in her own weird way. That being said, my family also loves her and makes over her regularly. Getting to the point, I'm worried that the combination of moving away to a new home and being separated from the other cats and my family may put too much stress on her. I know cats can be more independent than we realize and I may just be humanizing my cat's behavior to a fault but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision taking her with me. I love this cat very immensely and while it would break my heart to part ways with her, I don't want to take her with me if it results in her being unhappy. Anybody else have any similar incidents with their animals? How did they act? Am I just overthinking? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,! Can you take your cat with you and do a trial period of a few months or whatever length of time?

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I was hoping that I could get some advice on what to do in this situation to minimize the amount of stress this may have on my cat. So here's the situation:

I'm currently living at home with my family and four cats (I know it's a lot). One of these cats is strictly mine in the sense that we have all agreed that whenever I move, the cat is coming with me. At home right now, she is fairly content but I can tell that there are ways that she can be happier once we move out (easily monitor diet, exercise, stimulation, etc.). As far as the other cats are concerned, she will occasionally play with them but she's always had a small threshold on how much interaction she wants with other cats. I believe the reasoning for this is the limited interaction she had with her litter since she was abandoned by her mother.

While these cats occasionally stress her out and annoy her, there are times when she actually bonds with them in her own weird way. That being said, my family also loves her and makes over her regularly. Getting to the point, I'm worried that the combination of moving away to a new home and being separated from the other cats and my family may put too much stress on her. I know cats can be more independent than we realize and I may just be humanizing my cat's behavior to a fault but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision taking her with me. I love this cat very immensely and while it would break my heart to part ways with her, I don't want to take her with me if it results in her being unhappy. Anybody else have any similar incidents with their animals? How did they act? Am I just overthinking? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
As far as I understand, cats are very resilient. Although, any change can be stressful to her at the beginning, she should adjust fine. Make sure you bring some of her used litter and a blanket to the new place