Moving Issues

lillysmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends!

I was wondering if you can lend some advice my way. Before Lilly and I moved to my mothers house, we used to come in for a visit every week once a week. Lilly Beth was sweet and charming towards my mother. Now since we moved in, my mother is actually scared of Lilly! This kinda stinks
. She tells me that Lilly is fine with my niece and when my sister comes around, but to her (mom) she is a devil. Mom says she can't even pet her without Lilly wanting to fight and claw her eyes out.

i don't know what to do. I bought a spray bottle for when Lilly gets in trouble, but I don't spray her for this. I want them to get along because they are alone majority of the time. Is it because my mother speaks another language when talking to Lilly? Or is it something else? I don't get it. She was always loving towards her when we came for a visit, but now that we live here, Lilly is different towards her.

Thanks

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. Is there something else going on? Has your mom given her lots of attention? If so, that might actually be the problem as a cat in a new territory takes time to adjust. The extra attention can be viewed as unwanted or "forced" from the cat's perspective. What happens if your mom ignores her?

Don't squirt her. She's not being bad. She's most likely frightened. A change in territory can be very upsetting to a cat. Even though she's been there before, this wasn't her territory. Your old house was. If you add squirting to the new environment it might actually make things worse because she'll be more upset.

Have you tried getting a Feliway diffuser for her?