Moving In With My Grandparents-lost My Job

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless I get another job soon, like this month, I will have to move in with my grandparents at the beginning of August. I'm kind of glad that I'm leaving this job because I hated it. This community is horrible. I hate this town. There is nothing to do here. The people are so uncooperative and selfish. But I currently don't have any other job, so I'm forced to move back home. I can't move in with my parents because my sister also lives there with her German Shepherd, who has killed a cat in the past and attacked my dog twice. So, that's just not gonna work. My only other option is to move in with my Nana, Pap, Aunt, and cousin. They also have a small dog and an indoor/outdoor cat. The dog, Charlie, chases cats. And Katie lives mostly outside, but she fights with other cats in the neighborhood and I don't think she'll appreciate two strange cats coming into her house.

I don't have any other option. But I'm just worried about my cats. I'm not too worried about my dog, Bosco. He has been though many moves and will get along with Charlie. But Artemis and Luna will now have to deal with a dog that will chase them and a cat that will hate them. This is going to be so stressful for them. I don't know what to do. Artemis hates to be confined, so I don't know how I can confine them to a single room. He has broken part of my door frame when I tried to shut him in a room before. Luna will scale two baby gates easily. How am I supposed to get these cats introduced and living in peace? Katie lives mostly outside so she isn't bothered by the dog too much. But my cats are indoor cats. They will be hiding all day long unless there is something that I can do about Charlie.

I am so worried about them and not getting along with their dog. I don't want them to be terrorized all day. I have no idea how long I'll have to live with them. I don't know when I'll get another job. What can I do?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
First, relax a little. You can't guarantee that the absolute worst will happen. One of your cats may swat the heck out of the dog when he tries to chase and the dog will end up terrified of your cats and wanting to stay on the opposite side of your house. The dog and your cats may actually settle into a routine of play chase. The outdoor cat may act like an evil genius and make your cats her personal minions.

You don't have to worry about keeping your cats in your room by use of a baby gate. You just have to worry about keeping the dog out by use of a baby gate. The cats can just as easily jump over the gate to get back in the room when the dog is too much and the dog can't follow them. That bit of a safe haven coupled with being able to roam will probably result in peace with the dog a lot sooner.