Moving in with a strange kitten into a new house.

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I've been posting a lot so last one for a while. 

Our friends want to combine households and get a rental property together. One of those friends recently got her own kitten and I, of course, have Pumpkin. The issue I'm having is I (roughly) understand how to introduce kittens but not at the same time as they move into a house that is neither of their territory. 

I'm also worried because although Pumps is the elder of the two, the male kitten is already quite solid and going to be bigger. If my cat ends up bullied in any way I will move out with her (which I'm really not in any financial state to do). Honestly Pumpkin seems very content as the boss of our domain roaming around every room  freely but I don't want to cause waves by not wanting to move in with my friends. I'm also not sure just how the other kitten will be cared for (ie vaccinations, desexing, etc). Given their ages both cats will most likely be intact genitalia wise which is a HUGE worry. This will also require a lot of negotiation as to how to enforce Pumpkin being inside only if her cat is allowed outside, should they be fed separately, litter box upkeep, etc, etc.

Advice on how to manage introductions in an unclaimed territory would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has previous experience dealing with separate ownership in a multi-pet household that would also help. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you don't plan to get your cat spayed?  I think this is the first of your worries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is there a reason you don't plan to get your cat spayed?  I think this is the first of your worries.
No, she is getting spayed ASAP but the vets around here wont desex until 6 months. She is under 3 months still.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The other kitten is under 3 months? Introducing kittens to each other usually isn't a problem at all, especially if they're that young and simultaneously moving into a place that's new to both of them. You really need to clarify the neutering, inoculating and indoor/outdoor issues, though, before making any decision. Do you want to risk putting two kittens together that haven't had all of their shots yet? That can be risky. Having one cat with outdoor access and the other without would be extremely difficult to manage. You already mentioned general care questions like litterbox maintenance and feeding that have to be discussed; another potential problem is what you'll do if the kittens form a very strong bond, but will eventually be separated.

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the added topic. The other owner wanted to have a play date but I declined since I've watched enough Jackson Galaxy to assume that's a bad idea. Next time I see her I'll discuss vetting and whether she'll consider keeping Hiccup inside.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition, you REALLY do not want to live with an unspayed male cat.

Agree that playdates aren't helpful, and you really do need to be concerned about the health risks you could expose your kitten to here.

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am. I do not want to live with the other cat until both kittens' desexing and vaccinations are completed. I've been calling every vet in my region to see if anyone does EAD then going to strongly suggest she puts her kitten in as well if I can find one. Pumpkin's vaccinations will be finished by the time we're all meant to move in together. I honestly don't know if she is even going to vaccinate or if Hiccup already is. If she isn't, Pumps and I will find our own place.