moving house

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, my landlord informed me I need to move out. After much running I found a place to move, and next weekend I shall do so. The place is bigger than what I currently have, instead of just a studio now i'll have full 2 rooms.

But

How can I prepare Midnight for the change? She isn't used to change, she's a very indoors only cat. also, won't the whole move day thing scare her? Should I just put her in her carrier?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make the move easier on her if you use this week to prepare her. Leave her carrier out as a normal part of her environment. Get some feliway spray to spray on a towel you'll use to lay inside it. This will get Midnight used to the carrier as not something to be frighten of and as a safe place to be. You can also use a t-shirt you have worn and place that in the carrier the day of the move. Yes, I would keep her in the carrier the day of the move, in a place she can be kept from being around much of the activity.

At the new home, place her someplace quiet, like the bathroom, until everything has settled. Most cats hate change, but do adjust. Perhaps a feliway diffuser installed in the new place before the actual move would help, as it needs time to actually permeate the environment before effects can be seen, but if you can't do that until your actually in the place, it'll still be something I'd get.

Let her out when everything is quiet. With you there, she'll hopefully just explore her new digs. Have as many familiar items of hers all about. Good luck with the move and your new place.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you. I was thinking to get her a big cat tree at the same time... just so she'd have a place to hide in. the good news is that the move won't be 100% in one day- i will take several days to move my stuff over etc.