Moving house

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia, myself and my hubby will be moving soon. I'm just looking for some tips or past experience with moving cats (she's approaching nine months old). We're moving from a unit to a house and she hasn't been outside before exept in her carrier.

I'd like to know if cats need to be shown where to find there new litter box area and if that's a bit of a struggle for them in a bigger area.

I'd also like to start letting her go outside, how would I go about approaching this idea with her? Is there a time period where it would be to soon?

Any feedback would be great cheers :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend allowing her outside unless it's on a leash or in a secure enclosure.  She doesn't "need" to be outside and can be perfectly happy and content inside only.  When I've moved with kitties in the past, I set up a large wire crate with litter box, water, crunchies, and bedding in a room or bathroom.  Put the kitty in the crate and shut the door so that not only is there no chance of her getting out, but she is somewhat insulated from all the noises.  Once everything is moved in, set her up in a safe room and let her get comfortable in that room for a day or so.  Then, allow her to explore the house in subsequent days.  I pretty  much treat a move like acquiring a new kitty and letting them explore in small increments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah I see so its like starting from scratch. Great advice :) she sits at the window alot so I assumed she wanted to be out there. Maybe she's just having a look.