Moving home

Nina22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Nice to be here with you all, i'd like to kick off with a question that some of you maybe come across and can offer some advice as i'm at my wits end.

We recently adopted a cat or more accurately a cat that had been hanging around day and night which never seemed to go home.

She was extremely timid to begin with and use to run away as soon as we went into the garden, whilst she appeared to be in relatively good condition (albeit it a tad thin) we decided to try and befriend her rather than let her continue be scared of us (we were fearful she had been mistreated due to how fretful she was).

Over a period of weeks she became accustomed to us (didn't run away) then slowly but surely she would allow us to pet her, it was several months before she made a surprise visit in our living room and again week by week started to spend more time with us.

She currently spends her day time hours either patrolling the garden of sleeping in a makeshift cat house (basically a crate on it's side with a waterproof covering and a blanket at the bottom) in the evenings she spends it with us and at night sleeps on our bed.
Whilst she has accepted us she will not tolerate strangers (she even panics when the doorbell rings!!) and definitely won't come in the house while we have visitors.

Sorry for going on so much but i want to give you a picture of how she came to use.

We will shortly be moving from London (essex border) to Norfolk and really don't know what to with regard to taking her or not, we have grown very fond of her but we are concerned she won't settle in Norfolk due to her skittish nature and may run away putting her in danger.

I'm sure we can't be the first to be in this position and would welcome any advice on what we should do that would be best for her, leaving her will be tough (it will feel like we are abandoning her) but if its considered to be for the best its what we will do.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Nina

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you found TCS and came here to find answers to this conundrum.

Take her with you! Not saying it will be easy but now that she has become a family member, relies on you for food, shelter, company and love it will devastate her to be abandoned and it will leave you with forever regrets to discard her like an old shoe.

You will have to confine her in the new home for at least a month so she comes to accept it as "home." Which may be a good point to make her an indoor only cat. If she is not spayed have it done before the move. At which time you can get whatever immunizations she might need for her health.

Getting ready to move will also upset her. Do you have a room where she can be kept before packing begins up until the actual move? Put a carrier in there with the door tied open and a soft blanket to nap on so she becomes familiar with it and it becomes her safe space.

I'm sure others with more experience / useful suggestions will be here to offer more help. Meanwhile - what's her name? Do you have a picture to share?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We will shortly be moving from London (essex border) to Norfolk and really don't know what to with regard to taking her or not, we have grown very fond of her but we are concerned she won't settle in Norfolk due to her skittish nature and may run away putting her in danger.

I'm sure we can't be the first to be in this position and would welcome any advice on what we should do that would be best for her, leaving her will be tough (it will feel like we are abandoning her) but if its considered to be for the best its what we will do.
:hellosmiley: Nina, welcome to TCS!

Thank you for caring for this kitty :clapcat:

Since as of now, the kitty has gotten used to you and your family and you guys are fond of her, it’s best to bring her along to your new house.

Her skittish behavior that she’s showing it’s normal and it’s just her behaving this way as she may have some bad experience with some people. As long as she feels safe with you, that’s the most important thing.
It is definitely safer for her indoors than being outdoors as she has to fend for herself against other cats and wild animals and cat haters and also from the elements.

To share with you, my boy is also a rescue and he’s also very skittish when we have visitors. Other than that, he is most comfortable and safe with us.

Once you have moved and take her along, please keep her inside and don’t let her out again. It’ll be most safe for her indoors. Please do not abandon her, bring her with you and keep her indoors would be best for her.
Also if you can, check if she’s spayed. If she isn’t, make an appointment for he4 at the vet to get her spayed. To have her spayed is also to mean that her health will be better and also she will not go into heat.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery

Spaying And Neutering – What To Ask Before The Surgery

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you have to take her with you and try to make her an indoor cat. She is dependent on you for her livelihood and if you leave her you are abandoning her. My personal indoor only cats, for the most part, don't hang around for any visitors. They are fine with my husband and I but that is it and I have never found that to be an issue.

Her behavior makes me think that you are her only contact to the human world so it is not like she will find another family or even a source of food.